clunking noise up front

Stopsign32v

Well a few weeks ago it only happened from the front driver's side when I was backing out of my driveway in the morning. Since then it has turned into both corners on the front end anytime I hit a bump. It sounds like a metal to metal clunk. My first idea is the struts. Everything suspension wise is 100% 1997 stock with 85,000 miles. What could it be? I'm thinking maybe the bump stops have deteriorated?

96GSRteg

Tyler
If youre positive its the suspension then it sounds like struts maybe. But if youre still not 100% sure of the location, i had a rattle from my seat brackets haha. It drove me nuts for a while...

Stopsign32v

No it is definately the strut area. And the car does not bounce at all, infact the ride is very stiff. So I'm hoping the struts aren't blown.

heykosal

Angkorian
Does it only happen when you hit a bump? Or does it also happen when you're turning?

It could be the struts, but if they were blown your car would bounce like hell. Imagine hitting a bump and the springs compressing and rebounding with no shock to control it.

Ball joint maybe?

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Does it only happen when you hit a bump? Or does it also happen when you're turning?

It could be the struts, but if they were blown your car would bounce like hell. Imagine hitting a bump and the springs compressing and rebounding with no shock to control it.

Ball joint maybe?
its not the ball joints, they have a horrible creaking sound, kinda like an old floor, every time the suspension has any change in it (turns, bumps, getting in the car)

im curious to see what this is too, its been happening in my car but there is also a creak, i have already replaced the ball joints to fix them cause they were bad and im thinking its the suspension bushings

Rich-PMS

make sure your lug nuts are torqued to proper spec

jack up the front of your car and see if there's any play in your wheel. vertically and horizontally.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included

jack up the front of your car and see if there's any play in your wheel. vertically and horizontally.
my lugs are always on tight and i know what loose ones sounds like, the bearings are good and i know what those sound like, i have not tested the tie rods so it could be those. its about 15 out right now with a windchill at about 5 so dont know if im gonna check it today

Stopsign32v

The lugs are torqued to 80. Infact they were checked yesterday and were not loose. I just got new wheels and the sound started with the old original wheels.

Stopsign32v

Something I kinda noticed tonight was it seems that noise happens when the front suspension is unloaded on bumps. After getting up to speed the noise doesn't happen.

heykosal

Angkorian
its not the ball joints, they have a horrible creaking sound, kinda like an old floor, every time the suspension has any change in it (turns, bumps, getting in the car)

im curious to see what this is too, its been happening in my car but there is also a creak, i have already replaced the ball joints to fix them cause they were bad and im thinking its the suspension bushings
That's right, ball joints do creak. But that's why I had asked if it also happened when the wheels are turned.

That would be simple to just double check.
my lugs are always on tight and i know what loose ones sounds like, the bearings are good and i know what those sound like, i have not tested the tie rods so it could be those. its about 15 out right now with a windchill at about 5 so dont know if im gonna check it today
I think he was talking to the OP, stop thread jacking!!:evil:lol jk
its your cv axle
Yeah it could be, my LS clunked and it turned out to be a CV joint.

Stopsign32v

LOL all of you guys were wrong. It had something to do with the struts. I changed over to Koni's and found NONE of my stock struts to have bump stops on them. Lowered to only 2" between the tire and fender on Koni/GC setup the car rides smoother and less harsh than it did with the stock setup. No more clunking now!!!!