cold air intake

spoon.thai

i just bought an injen cold air intake, and was woundering if anyone knows how long it would take to install and what tools i would need.....just wanted to make sure before i started so i dont screw everything up, thanx
also, does injen make a bypass valve for their cold air intakes, if not what other options for bypass do i have?

94dc2-4drgsr

If u do it yourself make sure you have the next 2 hours available, tools, a set of wrenches and a screwdriver will do it, the hardest part is to remove the old airbox, and make sure you have a jack or jackstands to remove the bottom part of the airbox, other than that putting in the noe one should ba a snap, and remember to get the bypass valve, it gives you peaco of mind when is raining :lol:

spoon.thai

another question, when installing the cai do i need to remove the front bumper?, because that is what it says in the directions, but im not sure, also do i have to reset the ecu? and if so, how?...thanx

JOEY

you dont have to do either of those. but it is easier to install by taking off the bumper in my opinion.

heepashet

Originally posted by "94dc2-4drgsr"

If u do it yourself make sure you have the next 2 hours available, tools, a set of wrenches and a screwdriver will do it, the hardest part is to remove the old airbox, and make sure you have a jack or jackstands to remove the bottom part of the airbox, other than that putting in the noe one should ba a snap, and remember to get the bypass valve, it gives you peaco of mind when is raining :lol:
yes bypass is very important unless you feel like replacing your engine after driving through a lot of rain. or you could buy the new AEM V2 intake it's supposed to have the effects of a cold air without the tube being so long. go check out the charts on AEM's site

evan2

bypass valve is junk, I drove 2.5 years with my eclipse with a iceman intake filter right on the ground almost..in florida.. it rains a lot..

ass long as your ass isnt going through puddles at 7000rpm you will be fine..you just have to drive smart

the little bit of water you will suck up will either a , evap on its way up the intake path

hit the motor and do nothing.. a lil bit of water is ok it will cool down the motor some

look at water injection

unless you have the filter submerged and your revving it you will be fine

plus the valve hinders performance

i never had to take off the bumper to install a cai.. i put a aem on my boys itr and didnt have to

you just have to remove the splash guards so you can drop out the big air box thats in the bumper..

there is one bolt that might be kinda hard to get at but you just have to work to get it

i recall the itr not having it though.. but my gsr did

iowagary

yes bypass is very important unless you feel like replacing your engine after driving through a lot of rain. or you could buy the new AEM V2 intake it's supposed to have the effects of a cold air without the tube being so long. go check out the charts on AEM's site
Ok... I know AEM sells that bypass thing, and I know on K&N you can get a little wrap that goes over the filter that's supposed to keep water out, but if you got another brand (Injen for example), how would you bypass that?

evan2

dont get a bypass valve its junk.. unless the filter is submerged in water you arent going to suck up enough water to harm anything

it will evap before it goes near the tb.. if a lil gets in, it will burn and make steam before anything else

just dont rev the shit out of it in the rain, how hard is that..

iowagary

Originally posted by "evan2"

dont get a bypass valve its junk.. unless the filter is submerged in water you arent going to suck up enough water to harm anything it will evap before it goes near the tb.. if a lil gets in, it will burn and make steam before anything else just dont rev the shit out of it in the rain, how hard is that..
I'm actually quite nice to my car - I drive it good. But I don't just drive around the city. I live in seattle where it rains a lot, and I also drive up to the mountains, during the winter that means snow. Am I really going to make it ok? I don't drive in lakes or blizzards, but it's deffinitely wet.

evan2

well it does rain there a lot.. but i also live in florida.. it rains sometimes for a long time..
doesnt it rain then stop over there..

I had a iceman cai on my eclipse for 2.5 years.. filter was right on the ground.. one time my stupid ass went through a huge puddle cuz a dip in the road..
i was kinda revving somehwat high too like a moron

the car kinda felt weak and wanted to stutter some so i pulled over.. turned it off let it sit.. turned it on and revved it up a lot.. drove home just fine

my boy has locked upa motor but he never said what he was really doing when it happened

the bypass valve ruins the ponit of a intake honestly
best thing i would say is ge ta heat shield to go around it.. i think injen makes some nice chrome ones

either that or get a short ram..

spoon.thai

Originally posted by "iowagary"

Ok... I know AEM sells that bypass thing, and I know on K&N you can get a little wrap that goes over the filter that's supposed to keep water out, but if you got another brand (Injen for example), how would you bypass that?
thanx for all the advise, but i had installed the cai like two or three weeks ago, it rained and snowed and everything is fine so far, and yea the bypass is pointless, it does negate all the effects the cai would have.....and to answer the question about how to bypass an injen cai, you just cut the pipe in half and then stick the two half into the bypass.....or you could just get an injen short ram, and buy a cold air extension for it, so in the rainy season you got short ram and in the not so rainy season you got cold air.....thanx again for the advise.