difference between type-R // GS-R

SuedeGSR

hey guys, jus wondering whats so different between a type R and a GSR, please help if you can- thx

Baldy201

i am guessing engine wise since this is in engine tech.
Higher Redline
Higher Compression
Better rods
Head Flows Better
Better valvetrain
Higher lift and duration cams
VTEC point is set higher
Single-Stage Intake manifold better suited for High RPM's

THat is the main part of it. If you want to get into great detail then let me know an i can help you find out.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
the Type R head is basically giving a B16 head a mild port and polish. Higher lift cams with better valvetrain for handling the higher redline. the GSRs head can yeild a higher compression since it has a smaller combustion chamber. GSR has a dual stage intake manifold that helps it get a lil more midrange. GSR has a black valve cover, R has a red one. Type Rs come with a shorter geared tranny with LSD, whereas the GSR come with an open diff.

thats about all i can think of

DownShift96GSR

Ones a Type R and the other is a GSR...(sarcasm). The Type R suspension sits one inch lower from the factory with a 5 lug hub on it. The Type R is more angled toward an N/A, autoX racing. The Type R has a suede like interior with red stitch and Recaro race seats. The GSR motor is more turbo friendly than the Type R.

Oh yeah, the insurance on the Type R is way higher than the GSR.

01cleatus

Hey I pay $215 a month for insurance on a 01 LS. Talk about bullshit!
It might be also cause before I turned 17 I had gotten about 11 tickets. :smackself
But I haven't had one in 3 years or so. :nod:
Knock on Wood.
Oh Yeah!

Todd

token ex-mod
all in all the typeR has 25more hp, for a comperable year/mileage gsr compared to a typeR you can plan on spending anywhere from $6,000-$8k+ more for the typeR...
imo the typeR is more hype then value, a gsr is a much better car when price is taken into concideration.

and the typeR's dont come with sunroof's... i love sunroof's

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Eviloliv3 said:
the GSRs head can yeild a higher compression since it has a smaller combustion chamber.
Type R's have 10.6:1 compression
GSR's have 10:1 compression

Type R's don't have those side mouldings that run along the side of all non Type R's.
Type R's have the big wing, GSR's have a little wing.
Not all Type R's have AC, I don't think any of them have cruise control (I love CC!).
Type R's have no sound deadening material in the cabin, to reduce it's weight.
Type R's have a bigger rear sway bar (22mm vs, 14mm) and a stiffer (and sexier) front strut bar.
Type R's also have a rear stabilizer bar right behind the taillights, behind the rear hatch panel.
A Type R is just under a full second faster in the 1/4 mile than a GSR.

Todd

token ex-mod
TegSox said:
A Type R is just under a full second faster in the 1/4 mile than a GSR.
i gotta elaborate on that one, stock gsr's are rated at 15.1 second 1/4 while the ITR is rated at a 14.9 second 1/4

in real life i've seen ITR's go as low as 14.4 stock, i've also seen stock gsr's run 14.8's.

REALLY the itr runs just under half a second faster 1/4 than the gsRizzle

where a stock ITR will truly outshine a stock GSR is on the road course or autox

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The average, normal, run of the mill stock GSR runs 15.7-15.8.
The average, normal, run of the mill stock Type R runs 14.8-14.9.

Let's not split hairs and bring up extreme cases of freak cars, because its just not what you should expect. Although I did expect someone to say something like that, I didn't think it would be a mod. No offense to you, personally.

Last edited:

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
TegSox said:
Type R's have 10.6:1 compression
GSR's have 10:1 compression
JDM Type Rs have 11.1:1 CR
USDM Type Rs have 10.6:1 CR

JDM GSRs have 10.6:1 CR
USDM GSRs have 10.0:1 CR

if you put a GSR head on a JDM Type R block you will have 11.3:1 CR. as i said before, the GSR head has less volume, translating into increased compression.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
TegSox said:
The average, normal, run of the mill stock Type R runs 14.8-14.9..
all my buddies with GSRs are running around 15.1

...I run a 15.8..... and ive got a shitty motor..

plus it also depends on your altitude

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yes, the GSR head has a smaller combustion chamber. But looking strictly at the compression #'s of each engine you wouldn't know that. The lamen may assume that since a Type R has higher compression, it must have a smaller combustion chamber, if they even understand how compression ratios work, what they mean and how they're calculated. The statement, "the GSRs head can yeild a higher compression since it has a smaller combustion chamber." the way you "said" it is just kinda misleading because Type R's are higher compression, that's all. I didn't want the newbs to get confused, so I just threw up the raw stats.
You know what I mean? Why would someone asking such a basic question about the differences between a GSR and a Type R wanna know that a GSR head is smaller than a Type R head? That's what threw me off, but I suppose it IS a difference, so there ya go.

It seems like I can't say much of anything useful in this thread, so I'm done here. :)

Todd

token ex-mod
TegSox said:
The average, normal, run of the mill stock Type R runs 14.8-14.9.

Let's not split hairs and bring up extreme cases of freak cars, because its just not what you should expect. Although I did expect someone to say something like that, I didn't think it would be a mod. No offense to you, personally.
if you run a high 15 in a gsr you are doing something wrong, i've only seen a few runs that high and one a little higher, but those runs all included horribly missed shifts and lots of tranny grinding by inexperienced drivers
my 99 gsr with i/e runs a 15 flat with heavy ass 17's

and it's funny you say that like it matters that i'm a mod.... mods talk just like normal people.. we walk like them too, only we're 15feet tall and green and can jump miles at a time :lol:

Last edited: