DIY : Headlight Restoration (More cost effective!)

JemmieN

not a girl lol
[YOUTUBE="DIY : Headlight Restoration"]GsHHBk-hZzk[/YOUTUBE]​

I used this video as a DIY. Worked extremely well and is cheaper and lasts longer than buying a headlight restoration kit.
I do have my own pictures but i did it outside when it was a bit dark with a cell phone. LOL

Items Needed :
800 grit wet sandpaper (if your headlights pretty bad)
1000 grit wet sandpaper
1500 grit wet sandpaper
2000 grit wet sandpaper
Microfiber towels
Orbital Buffer (optional, works better)
Rubbing Compound (I used Turtle Wax rubbing compound)
Meguiar's PlastX

Step 1 :
Soak the 1000, 1500, 2000 grit sandpapers in water.

Step 2 :
Wet the headlight you are working on. Then start sanding it with the 1000 grit in a horizontal direction. It is important to keep the headlight wet while you are working it. Do this for about a minute or more depending on how bad your headlight is.

Step 3 :
Rinse off the nasty stuff off of the headlight and begin sanding in a vertical direction with the 1500 grit sandpaper, keeping the headlight wet. Do this for about a minute.

Step 4 :
Rinse off the headlight and sand with the 2000 grit in a horizontal direction. Do this for about a minute or more depending on how bad your headlight is.

Step 5 :
Rinse off the headlight and dry it off. Apply the rubbing compound onto the headlight covering it completely (I put a semi thick layer of it on).

Each time you switch sandpaper grades switch the direction you are sanding

Step 6 :
Use the buffer on the headlight until you do not see any of the compound left. Wipe off the headlight clean with your microfiber.

Step 7
Apply a medium amount Meguiar's PlastX on the headlight and repeat Step 6. Wipe off the excess with your microfiber.

You'll be like :shock: after you see the difference between the old and the new!

Last edited:

rnhib25

ricer all day
stupid chink it doesnt work.

i did mine today 400 800 1000 2000 then rubbing compound came out CLEAR. had everything laying around

JemmieN

not a girl lol
stupid chink it doesnt work.

i did mine today 400 800 1000 2000 then rubbing compound came out CLEAR. had everything laying around
i may have to do a lower grit. i want it to be super clear, its still a LITTLE cloudy

and i was fixing it the whole time lol

rnhib25

ricer all day
stupid chink cant do anything right. aren't your people good with computer lol

yeah bro mine came out amazing i took my front end off to do it. and took my headlights off!!

JemmieN

not a girl lol
stupid chink cant do anything right. aren't your people good with computer lol

yeah bro mine came out amazing i took my front end off to do it. and took my headlights off!!
i was going to do that but i was too lazy haha it was a bit difficult to buffer with the bumper still on

rnhib25

ricer all day
i didnt have a buffer so i took an old tee s*** and cut it and jammed it in to a drillgun and it became a buffer LMAO!!!

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
did this on my parents truck, my set of jdm one pieces on my old DA, my uncles truck, and my uncles friends truck. cept I went up to 2500 with more steps in between and didnt use a buffer. that plastx stuff is clutch!!!!

Sammich

i'm just lol'n at applying the compound and plastix by hand...that can just be swirled right on the buffer...IJS

Mercy

Milwaukee Phantoms
i'm just lol'n at applying the compound and plastix by hand...that can just be swirled right on the buffer...IJS
lol maybe he like's the way it feels. haha, but overall I though that was quite educational. Might have to try that.

SilverSophie

If your doing this on an integra you should take off the bumper. You HAVE to for the 94-97 front ends. I finish with a 3000 grit foam attachment then buff/polish/wax. I've heard you have to finish with a good wax with UV protection if you want it to last, never experienced any problems though.

But the 3000 grit pad really really helps it to clear up.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Just want to point out that the exact regiment followed here isn't too critical, lol...but the concept works beautifully. I just used 1000 in a swirling motion for 5 minutes, 2000 for another 5, and then rubbing compound by hand (because it was easy) for about the same amount of time, maybe less. They were nasty before this, completely oxidized, chaulky looking, and you could barely see through them. No plasticx, or wax of any sort in this pic. Yes, I am well aware my clear (referring to my paint) needs a shit ton of work, lol...