DIY: Icebox how-to

slowtec

Internet Tough Guy
I don't know that the 4" is overkill. The whole reason that it was upgraded to 4" in the first place was to more closely match the Mugen style intake. The OP on TI noted that the throttle response was reportedly better with the Mugen's larger diameter of 4" than with the Comptech's 3".

I should be noted however, that the Mugen style has a slightly different design aside from the tube diameter. The factory air filter boxes dump the air into a square chamber, creating disruptive air pockets that hinder the flow, whereas the Mugen style flows into an conical, oblong-shaped filter box, helping to reduce the higher pressure pockets. I have an illustration that explains what I mean:

So given time, you would want to modify the box shape itself to crate the best air flow. Might be why these DIYs don't pack quite the same kick as their aftermarket siblings. But bang for your buck, totally worth it. Took me a few days to find a place in Portland, OR that sold the Thin Wall PVC, it's got no pressure rating and is only used for field drainage and the like so it's not in the big box hardware stores in urban areas.

slowtec

Internet Tough Guy
So here was the one I made:

4" ID Thin Wall PVC (7" length; 4" length)
ABS Elbows 90 degree long sweep and street
Same 4" coupler as OP.

Ran me $40 in parts, could have been cheaper if I had the PVC Cement before hand. The next one would only cost about $25 to make because of the spare pieces at the end. I eliminated the speaker port however, I refused to wait for shipping for one thing that wasn't really needed and was an unnecessary cost.

I lost my old port molds, so this was the best I could do with what I had on hand, will be making a newer, more functional port when I get the chance.

Going to put it on tomorrow morning, hopefully it is sunny out. Have a good weekend, CI guys.

MonstrDrop

I plan on doing this as well... This thread is 7 years old and all the pictures have expired. Does anyone have an updated version?

speedin

The Transporter
should be noted however, that the Mugen style has a slightly different design aside from the tube diameter. The factory air filter boxes dump the air into a square chamber, creating disruptive air pockets that hinder the flow, whereas the Mugen style flows into an conical, oblong-shaped filter box, helping to reduce the higher pressure pockets.
Nailed it, thats the difference, not the pipe size. If Comptech optimized the whole box for a 3in pipe like Mugen did for the 4in pipe I bet you would have negligible differences. Its all about CFM's and a 3in pipe can move alot more air than 99% of B-series can take in.

I plan on doing this as well... This thread is 7 years old and all the pictures have expired. Does anyone have an updated version?
If anyone wants to give me some new pictures I can give this thread a much needed revamp.

TheSkygun

If we get new pictures of this I may attempt it, for now ill keep just the short ram, but I do have all my stock set up just in case I want a icebox.

MonstrDrop

I read the entire DIY for the 4" version. I hear throttle response is better as stated above however it is a lot harder to install than the 3"...
Anyone have experience with these? Theres also a guy on the other forum who was making the 3" Iceboxes and selling them back in '06-'07 i wonder if hes still at it

MonstrDrop

I couldnt find the 1/8" wall piping at home depot or lowes. Good thing my step-dad works in the plumbing/sprinkler piping business :)

speedin

The Transporter
I read the entire DIY for the 4" version. I hear throttle response is better as stated above however it is a lot harder to install than the 3"...
Anyone have experience with these? Theres also a guy on the other forum who was making the 3" Iceboxes and selling them back in '06-'07 i wonder if hes still at it
The 4' version should be the same steps, just that the part where you squeeze it into the box becomes much more of a task. Possibly some cutting of the box.

And if anyone can get pictures just post them here. I can combine various peoples pictures. I just cant get pictures because mt Integra has been gone for about 7 years now. I do have a few pictures I added.