Don't know what my ECU is chipped with!

gamerchad

Is there anyway to know by looking at it? The local tuner prefers Hondata, but I don't know what the ECU was originally chipped/tuned with. I took it apart to take pics if that helps. All I know about it is that it's a P28 for my LS/V.

also, is there a way to re-use it for my LS-Turbo build? just wondering.

Pics:

Thanks in advance.

gamerchad

looked up "OKI" and got a link to eCtune...is that right?
I apologize for being so non-informed, but I've just been exposed to tuning of any kind.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
the chipped portion is the one with SST on it in the bottom left of the last picture you posted. Cant tell you whats on it though, more then likely crome, ectune, or neptune however. Hondata installs look different then that. You can remove that chip by just lifting it out of the socket ( its tight in that socket so just be careful). By removing it, you would return the car to its stock tune, so you might not want to drive it like that however. You can reuse it but you cant tune like that, you need either a chip burner to make a new program, or an emulator like moates demon or ostrich, and a tuning program to go along with it, or the hondata package.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
either way you are going yo need a dyno for your car to run right

gamerchad

So would I be able to re-use this ECU for an LS-Turbo setup and just get it retuned/rechipped? If not, what ECU setup is suggested, or, can I get the stock LS ECU modified for tuning? I'm sorry about being so misinformed.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
should work fine as far as i know, the custom tuning is all in the chipping area, you use either hondata or an emulator and a program.

gamerchad

Which should work fine, the P28 rechipped or the LS modified?

Note: Very special thanks to Spawne32, you've commented on several threads that have taught me quite a bit.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
as long as the ecu itself is equipped for vtec and has the knock board, it will function normally with your vtec setup...if you dont have a knock sensor, dont worry about the knock board, they are all internal components on the PCB system. I believe the P28's are vtec anyway so that shouldnt be an issue.

The chipping area is a redundant system carried over from OBD0 ecu's that used removable EEPROM's, your factory tune will always be programmed on the ecu on the factory chip which is not removable, but when you install that chipping kit, and put something in that socket, connect the jumper to activate that part of the board, it bypasses the factory eeprom, and uses your removable section for commands to the engine.

moates demon (look that up) is a flash memory emulator board that plugs into that chipping socket where your current aftermarket chip is, the demon hooks up via usb cable to your laptop, which you program using a tuning program, and it stores it in flash memory. Ectune, neptune, and crome are all programs that do this.

Hondata on the other hand is a different setup..

not entirely sure how it functions, but still hooks up via USB and plugs into that chipping area. Because you already have the chipping area setup for the aftermarket tuning, all you have to do is choose which route you want to go....emulator, or hondata.