Driving Techniques: Double-Clutch Downshifting

Juelz

bring this back up to date :D

I saw the video but still kinda confused Heel to toe, rev match and double clutch are 3 separate things??:shock:

I found this vid on heel to toe? is it a goood one because I watched other videos where the comments statedthe person wasnt doing it righthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MS5pNGbOU&feature=related

also which one goes first when learning??

ZaWn

Great write-up. I don't really know how I developed my driving technique but a good friend of mine who is experienced in using heel-and-toe said that it should be called reverse heel-and-toe.

-Z-

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Great write-up. I don't really know how I developed my driving technique but a good friend of mine who is experienced in using heel-and-toe said that it should be called reverse heel-and-toe.

-Z-
Thanks. I'm planning on recording my footwork whenever I get a GoPro/Contour.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
bring this back up to date :D

I saw the video but still kinda confused Heel to toe, rev match and double clutch are 3 separate things??:shock:

I found this vid on heel to toe? is it a goood one because I watched other videos where the comments statedthe person wasnt doing it righthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MS5pNGbOU&feature=related

also which one goes first when learning??
I listened for a short time, then when I saw the boots and him saying to use the heel, I turned it off.

1. Rev matching. When you downshift, your RPM's rise in the lower gear which can upset the balance of the car entering the turn, thus making it harder to control. Rev matching is matching the RPM's you will be entering in the lower gear by blipping the throttle. if you shift from 5,000 rpm's in 4th to 3rd gear, you'll be roughly around 6,000 or so when you reach third gear, so rev matching by using the throttle will even these out for you.
A way I practiced was on turns I took all the time, sweeping turns especially. I would work on this exclusively until you have a good idea of what rpm you'll run when gearing down. Do this in a straight line before any braking, so you can get use to it without haaving to worry about sliding your foot over; that may get confusing for you. Go to a country road, all straight and just practice gearing down, you'll get the hang of it sooner of later.

2. Heel/toe downshifting. To heel/toe, you must rev match, that's the point of heel/toe downshifting is to slow down with the brakes while also using the engine revs to slow the motor. The purpose of this is the same as above, but with the added benefit of braking at the same time so it's a much more fluid and rapid descent while entering a corner.
Shifting in the middle of a corner is usually pretty stupid and unecessary, do your braking and shifting before you begin your maneuver. The friction you're using to brake and turn is shared, so you are not able to get maximum angle while cornering, and this can cause you to understeer heavily.
The reason I said that guy is an idiot in the video is subjective tyo my driving style. Boots, terrible for spirited driving. Some redneck may think not, but let's see his times in comparison to someone wearing sneakers, or in my case a wide pair of DC's. When he said use your heel, that's fucking tough. Try twisting your heel like that and tell me how comfortable that is and how confident you feel with holding you foot steady. When you do that, you run a greater risk of unsteady braking and slipped pedals. Whnever you blip the throttle, you may or may not have an issue with putting more pressure on the brake at the same time. using the right side of your foot should work a lot easier for you, and I suggest a pair of wide shoes with a soft sole. My favorite driving shoes smell bad and half barely any life left, but I can pop to 7,500 comfortably with those fuckers.
How I got comfortable was with leaving the car in neutral and blipping the throttle while trying to hold a steady amount of pressure on the brake. Learn the difference in pressure according to side of the foot and desired affect.

3. Double Clutch Downshifting. This is the same as heel/toe, but you don't rev match with the clutch pressed in.
engage the clutch, take it out of gear and set in neutral, disengage the clutch, blip the throttle to rev match, engage the clutch, slap it in the desired gear, disengage the clutch.
The purpose of this, from my understanding is that it is easier on the clutch and syncros, but obviously a lot more work and room for error. Fuck my clutch heel/toe for life... Or until I get something that it's no longer necessary to do, like a 350Z or whatever.

You get so use to it, you'll do it daily driving and your girlfriend will lick your nuts for it

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I have seen this little Chinaman that slid his heel to the side hella hard, looks dope as fuck, but idk how he could do it

98gsrDc2

stolen....
My feet r too big for heel/toe..I usually just blip the throttle when downshifting

98gsrDc2

stolen....
I've tried but it usually my big ass foot gets stuck under the clutch pedal...my little blip works just fine though

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Wait, the clutch? What is your right foot doing over there? Your right foot is the brake/throttle's pimp. Your left foot, as always aside from those few times you'll left foot brake, is dedicated only to the clutch. You brake and blip with the right foot

5ive-0

Freshest
Lol i dble clutch all day at work. I get to drive big 13 speed trucks at work lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

98gsrDc2

stolen....
Wait, the clutch? What is your right foot doing over there? Your right foot is the brake/throttle's pimp. Your left foot, as always aside from those few times you'll left foot brake, is dedicated only to the clutch. You brake and blip with the right foot
Yes the heel of my right foot...size 15 shoes...can get one foot across all 3 pedals

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
LOL. Just push in the clutch with your left. Press the brake with the left side of your right shoe, and tap the throttle with the right side of your right shoe, while letting out the clutch. Its more of just a toe technique for us big foot guys haha. There's no way I have room to swing my heel over, nor am I that flexible :lol:

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
LOL. Just push in the clutch with your left. Press the brake with the left side of your right shoe, and tap the throttle with the right side of your right shoe, while letting out the clutch. Its more of just a toe technique for us big foot guys haha. There's no way I have room to swing my heel over, nor am I that flexible :lol:
I would probably say side of the sole rather than shoe, this nigga is gonna be trying to blip the throttle with his laces or some shit