Engine Boggs slow acceleration?

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
I've got a 1995 acura integra. It's got the b18 and it's stock except for an after market air intake. It is an AUTOMATIC trans. The car sat for almost 2 years before I bought it. It acts REAL sluggish! and is very slow with acceleration. If I get the car on a hill it wont accelerate up the hill unless I put it to the floor (Passing Gear)

When you drive it and give it more gas it sometime will drive a little normal, not perfectly but it will gradually get to where it needs to be, I can't make a turn from the turn lane a stop light some times because it doesn't want to take off and get up to speed.

I've taken into factor that since it sat for a while before I bought it, somethings may need to be replaced. I've started with the fuel filter, I've purchased it but haven't installed it yet (No garage and it's parked in direct sun and it's 98* outside right now)

I'm REALLY looking for a solution to this problem. If anyone else has experienced with this let me know.

I've also thought it could be the MAP sensor also.

As of late it blows smoke as well, but the problem was here before it started to blow smoke (burn oil)

sps21112

Do a full tune up on it if it sat for that long! Also valve adjustment. Have you done a compression check?

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
Hoping it's not some crazy expensive fix (replacing an engine would be expensive)

Whiteman51x

if it was the spark plugs, the engine would start to knock or run rough (most noticeable at idle)

this really sounds like a fuel issue to me. have you run the tank out of the 2 year old gas and put new gas in it?

if the tank rusted inside from sitting, there are 3 filters the fuel goes to before it hits your cylinder, one of them could be clogged, there is a "sock" on the fuel pump itself to prevent from large debris, then there is your fuel filter, and finally there are little basket filters on each injector.

run a fuel pressure test guage, if you dont have one, its hard to diagnose this problem, your fuel pressure regulator could be bad also

before you start throwing money at this car, run some tests to verify the problem, look at the plugs and see if they are burnt or oil fouled, you said the car was burning oil, this would foul the plugs and they would look black and crusty with carbon.

also put the engine in neutral, does it rev up fast or does it hesitate?

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
if it was the spark plugs, the engine would start to knock or run rough (most noticeable at idle)

this really sounds like a fuel issue to me. have you run the tank out of the 2 year old gas and put new gas in it?

if the tank rusted inside from sitting, there are 3 filters the fuel goes to before it hits your cylinder, one of them could be clogged, there is a "sock" on the fuel pump itself to prevent from large debris, then there is your fuel filter, and finally there are little basket filters on each injector.

run a fuel pressure test guage, if you dont have one, its hard to diagnose this problem, your fuel pressure regulator could be bad also

before you start throwing money at this car, run some tests to verify the problem, look at the plugs and see if they are burnt or oil fouled, you said the car was burning oil, this would foul the plugs and they would look black and crusty with carbon.

also put the engine in neutral, does it rev up fast or does it hesitate?
It idles just fine really, it doesn't run rough or knock. I will check the spark plugs and get this fuel filter installed and see where we stand. A lot of folks here are telling me to get it a tune up. There is a few things I would like to do to it to try and eliminate some ideas.

Does anything this may have anything to do with the MAP sensor? since this car doesn't have a MAF sensor the next to check would be the MAP.

(With nicer COOLER weather this car runs OK, not the way it should but better than when it's running nasty.)

Whiteman51x

yeah a tune up would never hurt, in fact its the first thing i do when i get a new vehicle, just for piece of mind.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT! YOUR RIGHT!---- your car is probably in limp mode! haha didnt think of that, do you have a similar car to swap maps with? when the sensor shorts or goes open, it sends signals that the ecu does not recognize and puts it in limp mode (on newer toyotas anyways.....)

but tyr swapping the map over before you buy it, its a pricey little sensor

im going o school for toyota, hondas are a hobby, toyotas use maf sensors haha so im kinda shooting in the dark

hope that helps!

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
yeah a tune up would never hurt, in fact its the first thing i do when i get a new vehicle, just for piece of mind.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT! YOUR RIGHT!---- your car is probably in limp mode! haha didnt think of that, do you have a similar car to swap maps with? when the sensor shorts or goes open, it sends signals that the ecu does not recognize and puts it in limp mode (on newer toyotas anyways.....)

but tyr swapping the map over before you buy it, its a pricey little sensor

im going o school for toyota, hondas are a hobby, toyotas use maf sensors haha so im kinda shooting in the dark

hope that helps!
So you think it may be the MAP sensor too? I'm also hearing that I should maybe switch out the PCV valve. I have no idea what it does. To replace the MAP sensor I'm looking at 70$ (And that's from AutoZone)

codybob33

same shit happened to mine, it was a blown map sensor, maps get confused when you go from a stock airbox to a aftermarket intake and the sensor cant compensate the amount of fuel with the air. so she'll bog down on ya. at least what happened to mine. if not check your tps

avan

Why did the car sit for two years before you bought the car? It seems to me that most likely this was a same problem that the previous owner had as well. It must have been a quite an expensive problem to fix thus he did not fix it and pass it along. Now you are stuck with it. Sound like a story I heard so often with automatic car.
First, you mentioned that this is an auto. A 95 ls auto most likely has not had the trans fluid changed. Your transmission may be the culprit. Hopefully it is just a fluid issue. I would definitely also include this into my tune up as others have advised. When you change the fluid make sure you use honda recommended trans fluid, and I would flush it with honda trans fluid as well before settling for the final fluid .
Does your car rev at high RPM before settling into a speed that you want. Like going up hill for example, does it go into high rpm before it finally catches. I would consider the maf/map. However when the map is defective or unplugged for some reasons the check engine light is activated by the ECU. You can try this right now and the engine light should turn on. The fuel filter check up along with plugs and wires and air filter is a must. You have to do this regardless.
I have a 94 LS auto and had pretty much a similar problem. I did the plugs,wires/cap, rotor and air filter and the car improves but not as much then I also changed the trans fluid . My magnetic trans plug was full of metal shaving and the oil was very black/burnt not the nice cherry red fluid that it should be. The car is very sound at this time. Good luck I hope you it it fixed.