Engine won't rev past 2200RPMs

AzLexi

Posting for my daughter. Her mom gave her this car as her first and it has 200K on it. Motor runs good but recently it has developed a couple problems that has me stumped. It starts to bog out like its starving for fuel around 2200-2500 rpms. I would have bet money the fuel filter was clogged, but changed it and no luck. I figured it was the fuel pump, after doing the "you tube" guru's check and no luck.Changed the pump.

Suddenly it has started a "belt squealing type noise" thats not a belt, but sounds like its coming from inside the valve cover....???

It has thrown a P0420 code a couple times, but I cleared it and have read that won't cause a "limp mode" type issue. It does seem like its in limp mode, but I have cleared the CEL codes etc.

Another video said honda's/Acuras have a fuse that blows that causes the TPS to keep RPM's from going up, not luck there either...All fuses good.

Don't know where the TPS is or how to trouble shoot it...

Air cleaner new.

2 things I did right around the time this happened was I put "Sea foam " in the gas tank as it sat for a year before we picked it up, and I fixed the cam shaft cover plug which was leaking and after, I cleaned the engine up so I could see if it was still leaking. I used engine degreaser and rinsed it with water..

Thanks in advance for any help.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
check your distributor. if you dont havr a stethscope, ues a screwdriver and and you ear against the handle rev and listen for a noise .p0420 are generic cat codes

AzLexi

It had a new unit put in 18 months ago. No unusual powder wear etc in cap. Used a stethscope and its not coming from dist. Anything else make a noise like that ?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
cam plug could be hitting the cam or you could have a tensioner issue with the timing belt resonating through

AzLexi

well, threw the towel in and dropped it off at the local firestone for a troubleshoot......Got a call 2 hrs later, "Plugged 02 sensor".....

Cleaned the sensor and she runs like a top,.........One of those things that makes you go hmmmmmm....

Exhale breath till the next issue...Oh, drivers windows not working but at least the car runs now