Front/Rear bumper support removal?

j13

Keep It Clean
I've been thinking about removing the bumper supports on my car, who's done this?

My question is..does the bumper "hold" the bumper cover into place? I've read that the bumper support doesn't even "support" the bumper cover, so removing it wouldn't cause the bumper to deform or sag. Is this true? I know DA's NEED the bumper support in order to put on the bumper cover. How many pounds are these supports?

I'm trying to save some weight because I've become a MPG hoe...I'm trying to reach the peak! I'm at 26MPG with full maintenance and proper tire inflation, no "junk in the trunk", and just changing my driving style(No speeding, rapid acceleration and quick braking) ect ect.. I know I could push more though

Mostly aerodynamic drag causes weak fuel economy, but removing weight is proven to raise MPG, due to the fact that the engine works harder and causes you to push on the gas more, just to get going, and to maintain speed.

Thanks in advance

jznsn2u

If you want to sacrifice safety for mpg, do it. People have taken off the bumper support and fabricated their own bar to hold intercoolers for turbo set ups.

jznsn2u

if you realllyy wanna be a mpg whore, buy a hatch :thumbs up. its fckn awesome :lol:

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
yeah you can take them off on 3rd gens, saves alot of weight but the supports are there for a reason, to save your life

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
I had to cut my rear bumper support two times to make my fit ukdm rear bumper on... IMO safety isn't worth sacrificing losing a few lbs and gaining mpg.

Last edited:

mohawk42s

i dont have a front bumper support... but if you only have 26 MPG that blows
i have 33 MPG highway(driving like a lunatic) with a B18C1 and a B16a LSD trans

if you are worried about MPG you need to post what type of engine and trans you have

this will tell a lot

jznsn2u

if you are worried about MPG you need to post what type of engine and trans you have

this will tell a lot
^woah thats pretty amazing mpg for what you have under your hood! I like your build bro :thumbs up

Afireinside

I have a 94 ls and I get 30-35mpg regularly and I dont have a light foot. I wouldnt cut out the support.If your looking for better mpg find whats causing the fuel consumption.
Good luck

j13

Keep It Clean
yeah you can take them off on 3rd gens, saves alot of weight but the supports are there for a reason, to save your life
So I can take off the whole piece without having the cover sag? Cool thanks for the info!

If you want to sacrifice safety for mpg, do it. People have taken off the bumper support and fabricated their own bar to hold intercoolers for turbo set ups.
I'm willing to take that sacrifice :) I'm not a maniac on the road to cause myself or others death lol And I drive on the freeway probably once a month lol

if you realllyy wanna be a mpg whore, buy a hatch :thumbs up. its fckn awesome :lol:
I LOVE hatches but I've already had light weight compact cars that got good gas milage, I got tired of being in such a small car. I'm trying to achieve the best that I can, with the Integra look, and flat form.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i was halfway to cutting out my rear bumper support to make room for the uk rear fog but i said fuck it and took it out. if i got rear ended, i would get hit in the tails anyways...

j13

Keep It Clean
I had to cut my rear bumper support two times to make my fit ukdm rear bumper on... IMO safety isn't worth sacrificing losing a few lbs and gaining mpg.
My main concern is, if I shave off these lbs would I see and noticible difference in MPG? If I could push one more Mile Per Gal, ill be jumping for joy ahaha

I use to ride before I got my teg..so I feel 100% more safe just by having doors lol

j13

Keep It Clean

this will tell a lot
How many miles do you get City?

Its an all stock B18B1 and a 4 Speed Automatic. I get around 260 miles city with 10 gal' in the tank.

5 speeds save gas...Auto's its a different story

NorthEndGhost

I have a 94 ls and I get 30-35mpg regularly and I dont have a light foot. I wouldnt cut out the support.If your looking for better mpg find whats causing the fuel consumption.
Good luck
94 rs & i get 27-30 in traffic & 32-35 hwy... I try to shift by 2500 rpm & that keeps my mpg way up, but I have ghetto exaust, it all leaks from my header & resonator. Like if u put your hand near my muffler, you feel nothing... sad

j13

Keep It Clean
Good luck
30-35MPG highway...right?
What do you get City