Grinding Noise Coming From Transmission When Car is Off

mrocha10

Hello,

My car being a 1998 Acura Integra Ls with a complete JDM GSR B18c swap from HMO including transmission (oem limited slip diff) and ecu left me stranded the other day and now wont start. After hours of research talking to friends, and looking online I am still having problems diagnosing what is wrong before I take it to a mechanic. If anyone has experience with what happened to me and has ideas on what is wrong I would love to hear from you.

I drove the car to the local carwash and have been driving the car for the last 4 months. I am no mechanic but I know enough to keep up with basic maintenance and replacement of accessories like starter distributor radiator etc. When I left the carwash i put it in 1st reved it to 6500 rpm dumped the clutch grabbed 2nd applied gas for about 50 feet then the car just died. I rolled to a residential street and waited about 30 seconds. Went outside popped the hood all looked normal. Looked under the car no leaks. Went back inside turned the key and the car fired right up. I let it run for a minute then put it in first and drove it going home. When I got close to my house I went around the block. Everything worked fine. I was at a stop before my street and gave it some gas till again about 6500 rpm normally. The car died again. I coasted to my front yard. The car now will not start.

This is what happens when turning the key. When I turn the key the starter rotates the flywheel for about 3/4 of a revolution then it sounds like something is binding the flywheel. Then the starter just clicks. This happens everytime now. Starter engages turns the flywheel till a certain point then it can no longer rotate the flywheel. So this what ive done. First i thought I snapped a timing belt or skipped timing. Took the valve cover off to see my belt was just fine. Then I checked timing by turning the crank to TDC and checking the cams to see if they were TDC as well. They were. It appears like the belt did not jump. I can also turn the motor with a breaker bar on the pulley rotating counterclockwise without the motor making any weird noises. I quickly checked play on axles and there was none. The biggest clue came when i tried manually pushing the car into my garage with the car in neutral. I pushed it moving forward no problem but when I began pushing it backwards to take it out of the garage a hellish binding noise comes from directly inside the transmission. It is also very hard to push backwards so much so that I could not do it by myself. It seems like something is binding hard enough to cause enough friction for the starter to not be able to turn the flywheel. Now after some research I have came across potential culprits for this problems including: bad passenger side axle, clutch, release bearing, pressure plate, clutch slave cylinder, or diff. Having said that I can go into all gears, and my clutch pedal feels normal. My thinking is even if any of those things listed above were bad the engine should at least fire up to which is doesnt do that at all. The transmission needs to come out but I would like to pinpoint the problem before taking out the transmission and sending it to some guy that may potentially lie to me about something else being wrong. Plus the budget is tight. Any USEFUL input would be appreciated. Thanks clubintegra community.

Winki

Undercover mod
Sounds like you were abusing it pretty good. You should remove the transmission and hope it is something simple like a pressure plate not letting the clutch engage properly. Should end up pretty obvious once the tranny is off it that is the issue. if the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing all look good then your problem will be internal. Most reputable shops can take apart a B series tranny quickly and with little hassle. Then you will have the option to rebuild or maybe find a cheap LS tranny to put in.

mrocha10

Sounds like you were abusing it pretty good. You should remove the transmission and hope it is something simple like a pressure plate not letting the clutch engage properly. Should end up pretty obvious once the tranny is off it that is the issue. if the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing all look good then your problem will be internal. Most reputable shops can take apart a B series tranny quickly and with little hassle. Then you will have the option to rebuild or maybe find a cheap LS tranny to put in.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah i guess I was lol.