head gasket change question

WDEDMON1

This has to do with oil. I think it may run the oil through for some reason. I blew my last motor up b/c of that fkin box. Make sure you replace the hoses and the PCV valve. Its pretty cheap. I lost compression going down the highway when that hose blew. I filled it back up with oil and everything looked fine(I had an oil pan leak at the time so I thot I was just low). Well apparently the oil only circulates through this hose when u are driving because 30 seconds later...........Rod through the front of the block.

Prozon

Kris
OEM Head Gasket?? Lol.

WDEDMON, I assume you can't just leave a gaping hole in the block, but I don't think that it would actually blow your engine up not having that. Could've been something else.

WDEDMON1

I read up on it today and its actually for the air circulation for your intake. It seems to be just emmisions BS. Yea Im not sure what it was but the block was screwed. I didnt have time to inspect...just put a new motor in b/c I had to be back at work that week.

Prozon

Kris
I was actually thinking about removing that black box and plugging the block. What say you?

WDEDMON1

Hmmm. Im not sure, I have a Chiltons manual that talks about it. It looks ugly as shit I know that, but you may lose some power because the diagram that the manual had looked pretty intense. It's raining and I dont wanna go to the car right now to get the book lol. Sorry, Ill try to post some pics of the page soon.

Prozon

Kris
Maybe it's worthy of a new thread. Interesting topic to say the least. And like I mentioned earlier, the new Integras don't even HAVE that box... so...

WDEDMON1

Yea tomorrow I will try to get some pics of my block and pics from the book and start a new thread.

jessesandy

I took my PCV box off the block and was surprised as hell to find a giant hole in the side of my block (as you'll were already talking about). Posting those diagrams of the PCV system would be awsome!
The Haynes manual mentions this:
"If abnormal operating conditions (such as piston ring problems) arise, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow-by gases to flow back through the crankcase vent tube into the air cleaner..."
Maybe that explains the big hole in the block and the little tube in the block.
(Now I wonder if the little tube goes to the block or maybe goes to a passage way that goes through the head which would route excess gases up under the valve cover and into the air cleaner duct ?)
I'll find out where the little tube goes tomorrow.

Last edited: