head unit and front/rear speakers

kbplaya

ok well i just went to my local a&b sound and I purchased the Alpine CDA-9813 its a 240 watt deck i was told it's really good. But now I need 2 pairs of 6 1/2" speakers. I don't really want subs in my car, I just want some really good sounding 6 1/2" that can produce some decent bass. What 6 1/2" speakers would u recommend paired with the deck I have?

slikk

Money Getter
when u find out let me know cuz i been trying to find some good 6 1/2 for a while now

i got some alpine something in my car i blow them in aobut 2 weeks

Baldy201

you dont want speakers, you want components. JL Audio, Alpine,MB Quartz, all good brands to look in to. If you are running components you will want to run an amp also. The amp will make them sound 10 times better than running off the deck. What you should do i s go to your local car audio place and listen to each speaker and see what you like best. You dont have to buy it from them just listen to it. That is the best advice I can give at this time.

socalgsr33

Ya components are the way to go. For a good deal i recommend the infinity component reference series. id recommend running an amp to your components with some 6 1/2s in the back. Bostons sound great also but are a bit more pricy. Also mephis makes a carbon fiber series that is amazingly clear and takes hardly any power to run. I would still recommend an amp for those. plus they are guarenteed not to blow and if you blow your tweets you can pop new ones into the tweeter socket.

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
There's no way a head unit can power a set of BA Pro series, or a reference series component set of any brand. It's not enough power, That power rating for your Alpine deck is a PEAK power rating (60x4, right?), what's important is its RMS rating, which will be around 10-15 watts, not nearly enough to give a high end component set the power they need to perform correctly, you'll probably end up frying the voice coils of your midrange's and the tweeters. Company's list the radio's peak power rating as a marketing gimmick to get you to buy their deck. This is no knock on Alpine, every company out there that sells decks does it. Alpine is all I've ever had in all my car over the past 9 years, they rule in my opinion.
Having said that, your Alpine will be able to run an "entry level" set of components safely. Most, if not all, high end component sets have a minimum rms requirement, typically around 40-50 watts rms. Translation: they NEED an amp to power them, there's no two ways around it.

As a general rule:
When you see a peak power rating for an amp, divide it by 2 to get the amp's rms power output.
For a radio, divide by 4.
Why is it that way? I don't know, but its the way its always been.

Last edited:

MoJoJoJo

Banned
best speakers...Focal, trust me...i had first hand experience, it sounded like you had subs in your car, its crystal clear, thats prolly why its gonna run you about 600 bucks a pair. dont believe me? go to cartoys or any sound shop and tell em to put on the focal's they're crazy. yea you prolly gonna need a amp, JL is a lil too expensive, Audiobahn is more for high performance; i think since you already got the alpine deck, get a alpine amp; it will look really nice. you dont have to get anyting up in the 800-1000watts. something like 250watt amp would be fine. go with focal, they are expensive but u gonna get bam for your buck

DJNAS

HUSTLING FOR A HUSTLER
MoJoJoJo said:
best speakers...Focal, trust me...i had first hand experience, it sounded like you had subs in your car, its crystal clear, thats prolly why its gonna run you about 600 bucks a pair. dont believe me? go to cartoys or any sound shop and tell em to put on the focal's they're crazy. yea you prolly gonna need a amp, JL is a lil too expensive, Audiobahn is more for high performance; i think since you already got the alpine deck, get a alpine amp; it will look really nice. you dont have to get anyting up in the 800-1000watts. something like 250watt amp would be fine. go with focal, they are expensive but u gonna get bam for your buck

HELL YEAH FOCAL'S IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU GOT THE CASH .... :twisted: ( http://www.focal-fr.com/ )
WITCH ONE YOU GOT IN YOUR RIDE ? FOCAL POLYGLASS?

Last edited:

MoJoJoJo

Banned
lol i dont have anything, my interior and exterior is still stock, just have minor mods; =) just hit the 6k mark on my car!!! another oil change,

catalin

TegSox said:
There's no way a head unit can power a set of BA Pro series, or a reference series component set of any brand. It's not enough power, That power rating for your Alpine deck is a PEAK power rating (60x4, right?), what's important is its RMS rating, which will be around 10-15 watts, not nearly enough to give a high end component set the power they need to perform correctly, you'll probably end up frying the voice coils of your midrange's and the tweeters. Company's list the radio's peak power rating as a marketing gimmick to get you to buy their deck. This is no knock on Alpine, every company out there that sells decks does it. Alpine is all I've ever had in all my car over the past 9 years, they rule in my opinion.
Having said that, your Alpine will be able to run an "entry level" set of components safely. Most, if not all, high end component sets have a minimum rms requirement, typically around 40-50 watts rms. Translation: they NEED an amp to power them, there's no two ways around it.

As a general rule:
When you see a peak power rating for an amp, divide it by 2 to get the amp's rms power output.
For a radio, divide by 4.
Why is it that way? I don't know, but its the way its always been.
So you're saying that if you have a large 100watt times 2 amplifier powering these speakers and it's playing at quarter volume you'll 'fry' the voice coil???? It's not power or 'underpower' that kills speakers. It's distortion that occurs when one tries to push the limits of an amplifier. The reason why the Alpine may damage the speakers is that at a certain volume/output level it will produce distortion. An external amplifier allows for a gain adjustment to prevent this from happening and damaging the speakers.

No offense but I thought I'd let you know what underpowering really means... heard it many times over the years.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
There are 2 ways a source signal can blow a speaker:

1. Too much power: If you overpower a speaker (send it more wattage than it can handle), it will tear the cone away from the voice coil OR it will heat the voice coil so hot it will seize the cone TO the voice coil.
2. Not enough power: If you try to force a speaker to play louder than the source is able to play it, (the source has no more power to give) the cone will vibrate/resonate uncontrollably and tear away from the voice coil.

Both instances cause distortion, so I guess we're both right :D Causes of distortion weren't the main focus of my post, I was just warning him not to attempt to run a high end set of separates off deck power, because he was getting some bad advice to go ahead and do so. Now he has a bit more insight as to why.