help, what can i do for CODE 43.

92_JDM

My check engine light came on while i was driving and i detect it to see whats the problem and it was code 43. one of my buddy said to try replace the fuel pump, fuel injectors or the fuel filter.

Trix

u will know if its the fuel pump i had to replace mine in my 91 teggy and man it was a bitch, if i was you do that one last

92_JDM

How can i tell if the o2 sensor is bad or good?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
Not sure if this works on a 92 as it is ODB 1, but in the ODB 0 the O2 only picks up readings after the exhaust manifold reaches 300 degrees... so in essence you could disconnect it and start the car. it will run rich, but it will run.

I have a 91 so my suggestions are based on the 1 wire o2 whereas you likely have a 4 wire o2 which is heated and starts taking readings right away...

Anyways disconnect the o2 sensor, then disconnect your negative battery cable to reset your ECU ( this will clear your trouble code) start the car and let it idle for 10-15 minutes and see if it pops a code. being the o2 sensor is diconnected the ECU will never know if it ever reached operating temps and bypass shooting a trouble code ( I think) in relation to it being an o2 sensor... Another test is at operating temp shoot propane into the intake and see what the car does... if the o2 is good the propane will trick the sensor and create a funky reading causing the ECU to compensate without throwing a code... (this test basically will tell you if the o2 is even reading...) you can go 1 step further and use a multimeter to see if the voltage goes up when you add the propane to the intake (this basically tells you if yyou have a reading going or not... Suggest using a backprobe for the positive point on the multimeter and ground wire goes to chassis.

if you still get a code 43 next replace your fuel filter that would be a cheap and easy thing to do. when you change this out you can also get a inline or standalone fuel pressure gauge and geta PSI reading from the outlet on the filter by hooking it up and turning the key to the on position ( do not start the car...) your PSI at the fuel filter ooutlet should be 35-40 PSI if lower your pump is likely going.

aftre that you would have to start checking voltage at the resistor plugs... 92-93 is a little different than a 90-91 so google what to look for or go to G2IC.com and search... there are a ton of threads there about how to do the test for injector issues.

on a final note this could also be a bad ground... usually the culprit on 92-93 models is the ground at the thermostat housing Recommend you chek that also :)

Last edited:

92_JDM

thanks guys ima go borrow my gf o2 sensor and switch it and see if that was the problem. if not then one of my buddy who is owns a shop said to change the fuel filter and he also said that the fuel pump on DAs doesnt last very long. so if everything else fails then im probably going to end up changing the fuel pump.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
never heard anythingindicatind DA fuel pumps not lasting long... usually the one most common complaint about 2nd gen tegs is the distributor assembly :p

Do like I mentioned and test fuel pressure before you shell out cash for a new pump... You mechanic should be willing to do this before making you pay him to pull your back seat & go thru all the work to replace the pump homey... if not u got a shady mutha fukka for a mechanic & should find someone else.

Fuel pump will cost u 80- 120 then add another 200+ for the removal and install cause u gonna have to pull the back seat, etc to change it... I'd check everything else first man.

Last edited:

BAwithaDA

Erik
code 43 is the fuel supply system. so try troubleshooting the fuel pump and it wouldn't be the fuel injectors because that is code 16. hope this helps. start by turning on your key and the fuel pump will turn on for about two seconds if it doesn't then if you can reach the fuel pump unplug it and check for power using a DMM or test light. but don't use a chassis ground because some vehicles switch it by ground