How To: Change B18 Head Gasket

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Nice write-up. I'm so happy to see someone do a job like this themselves. Although, if people knew how easy it was to change a head gasket, I wouldn't be able to get those $4000 cars for $200 just because they have a blown head gasket.

This looks way more organized then my recent head change was. Sticky for sure.

Prozon

Kris
Thanks guys. :D

I was going to take pictures of every step along the way, but my camera isn't very reliable so I didn't get nearly as many as I wanted.

BigRob176

niiiiceee... now i gotta 90 rs/b18a1
would this be pretty much the same steps i would have to take???

Prozon

Kris
Yes. I wrote it for a B18B1, and it is pretty much identical to a B18A1.
If it was a V-Tec i'm sure there would be a few more steps in there..

Anyways, if you have any questions just ask lol.

r0g3r16

i bought a motor but the head was taken apart and the camshaft and cam gears were separate, does da gear have to be bolted in a special direction?

BigRob176

WOW I'm going to have this thread on my laptop the entire time while I do mines. Im just a little iffy when it comes to anything with the timing/belt or distributor because of the fact that I'm not sure there on correctly to begin with.

(Non V-tech btw)

Also, I know the importance of the #1 cylinder being at TDC, but how do i position it? turn the cams by hand or socket. i remember moving my cam on my d15 once by hand but it only rotated about an inch nothin more

Prozon

Kris
Actually while the belt is still on turn the crankshaft. Put a bolt on it and go close wise until your cams are lined up. Moving the cam shafts won't effect the pistons. And if you've already removed the belt, line the crankshaft pulley up with mark aswell as the cams.

Yes the gear has to be bolted on in a specific spot. The "Up" has to be.. well up. There's a little thing sticking up on the camshaft that should be pointing up with the gear.

olddohc

funny u should say that

Nice write-up. I'm so happy to see someone do a job like this themselves. Although, if people knew how easy it was to change a head gasket, I wouldn't be able to get those $4000 cars for $200 just because they have a blown head gasket.
this girl I know has a super clean 90 ls, manual too (surprising for a girl) and I've always asked her to sell it to me. Finally the head gasket blew and she then wants to sell it to me, lol. Anyway, got it for $400, never been touched cuz the Org owner was a woman too, so all stock. I did a head gasket on a single cam years ago, only thing i'm scared about it taking it to a head shop and having them take out all the valve springs and stuff like that to machine it cuz i dont know how to put them back, also I don't have to take the timing belt off right? I'm just trying to get this thing running for a bit then gonna do gsr, well I might turbo it til it blows too, lol. PS nice write up man, i'll give you the props when i turn the car on and it runs again

Last edited by a moderator:

Prozon

Kris
I started to reply to your PM, but I sent the messege early on accident. I'll write here so anyone viewing can know.

The timing belt has to come off because the camshafts on top of the head have to be removed. However, it can be machined with the valves in. If you want you can just leave the valves alone and just have them take whatever off to make the mating surface flat.

Where are you located if I may ask? I'm in Washington, a bit south of Olympia.

Anyways, after you put the head on and have it torqued to the proper specs, put the camshafts in and line them up right. (Arrows point to each other and the up marks are up.) Make sure the arrows are perfect. After it's all lined up, slip the belt on.

I suggest putting the valve cover and spark plugs wires on, and trying to start the car before putting EVERYTHING together. Although it's a great way to learn, pulling a car back apart because your timing is slightly off sucks. If it starts and runs normal shut it off and put everything back on. (Don't try to drive it like that.)

If it's sputtering and backfiring a lot chances are your timing is off.

olddohc

i actually tdced it, then i marked the belt with the cams using whiteout and slid off the belt being careful not to move the belt on the crankshaft, i then ziptied the belt snug to the motor mount so it wouldnt move. also, when i took the cam caps off i noticed there werent any bearings between the cap and the cam, is this normal? does the cap serve as a bearing as well? im in socal

olddohc

PS. anyone know any good shops to resurface my head for a reasonable price in south orange county, ca, thanks

Prozon

Kris
Olddohc, I would suggest lining up the marks as I stated. I have done what you have done before, and I always seem to get the timing messed up. Ever try doing that on a Mitsubishi Eclipse? It takes like four hours to get everything back apart lol.