How To: Check and Clean ABS Sensor

Jay417

Beast From The East
For those of you who dont know how to CHECK and CLEAN your ABS SENSOR here is how its done.
Its quite easy.

Work was done to my 2000 Acura Integra GSR but im sure its all very similar in all gens.

Tools Need It:
Rachet w/ 10MM socket
Car Jack and Jack Stands
WD-40 (Optional)

Step 1
Jack up the car and SAFETY FIRST use a JACK STAND to hold vehicle up.
Remove Wheel.

ABS Sensor location

Step 2
Remove this 2 bolts (10MM)

Step 3
Clean the sensor. A simple rag will do the job depending on how dirty the sensor is.
I clean mines every summer so a simple wipe down will do the trick.

Step 4
After cleaning the sensor simply install the sensor back with the two bolts (10MM).
I usually spray WD-40 in the holes and the bolts just to make it easier for the next time.
(Prevents bolts from snapping)

Repeat steps on the other side and you are DONE.
Hope this was helpful. :)

Last edited:

dlo253

Maybe That will get rid of my ABS light... also getting a code for the pulser on the same wheel though.

j13

Keep It Clean
cool beans man. I don't have ABS so I dont need to worry.

dlo253

May be a little off topic. But i did this today, i am still getting an ABS light. I should still have it considering i had 2 codes. but is there a way to reset the ABS computer to see if i am still getting the code for the speed sensor? Ive read some places that the codes clear on their own when fixed, but Ive also read that there is a way to clear the codes from the memory. Anybody know for sure??

DeeCeeFour

Very good write-up. But let me just warn people that a lot of times the sensor itself can get corroded into the knuckle. To remove it you can take a small pocket screwdriver and try to wedge it where the sensor and knuckle meet and LIGHTLY tap the pocket screwdriver with a hammer to try and free it up. Take caution when doing this because you could break the sensor since it is only plastic. For a while when I was a mechanic at Honda I just quoted the customer a price on a new sensor any time I did wheel bearings just in case I broke it.

Jay417

Beast From The East
I think i posted this on the wrong area. Should i move it to the HOW TO/DIY section???? or just leave it.

rnareppa

Rear wheels?

Anything different to do this for the rear wheels, or pretty much similar procedure? Thanks for the writeup.