How to test the ECU ?

Hung

Hi,

My 98 Integra does not start. No fuel and No spark. Engine turn over nicely. I checked out everything ( Fuel, Fuses, Dizzy, Main Relay, Ground cable). Everything works properly but car still has no fuel and no spark.

I want to check out the ECU but do not know how.

Any help on how to test the ECU is greatly appreciated.

Where is the best place to buy an ECU ?

How much do I expect to pay ?

Thanks

Hung

mirrorimg

Find a friend with an integra and swap it to test it. You can buy used ECU's on ebay, or hope to find one at your local junkyard.

Prozon

Kris
Just throwing this out there, it's not just a random ground cable you need to check it is a specific one coming out of the wiring harness that bolts to the thermostat housing.

Hung

Hi Prozon,

Thanks for showing me the ground cable. I found it at where you said it is. . it has two wires with end look like a fork. both forks are bolted to the engine thermostat housing next to the thermostat probe. I unbolted them and sanded the surface then reconnected and tighten the bolts. T shall try again after I recharge the battery.

Thanks

Hung

Prozon

Kris
I hadn't realized you were the same person. I thought it was funny that someone had the same problem. I have a suggestion for you though, remove your distributor cap and see if the rotor turns when you crank the engine over.

As for the ECU, i'm not sure on a good price, but call around Junkyards and see if you can find one.

Hung

Prozon,

I started the engine again after recharge the battery with no luck.

I shall try your suggestion on the distributor cap this morning. What do you ahve in mind ?. Do you suspect that the timing belt may be gone ?

Thanks for your help

Hung

Prozon

Kris
Just curious really. Since your issue is for both spark and fuel i'm not sure. When I didn't have spark and checked everything on the distributor, I found out the rotor wasn't turning due to a broken gear on it.

sps21112

Or if the distributor rotor doesnt turn check your timing belt. If it does turn still check the timing belt could have jumped timing! To check that just line up your timing marks by turning the crank pulley. Should be a white mark on the crank pulley and 2 on the cam gears. Line up the crank pulley with the arrow on the timing belt cover and your arrows on the cam gears should be straight up. Also there are two hash marks on the cam gears 90 degrees from the arrows in either direction that should line up. Sorry if that is confusing hope it helps!

IntegraUA

Crankshaft possition sensor... if that sensor is bad and sends no signal to ECU ur car will never start... its located under timing cover and i belive it reads of a gear on crankshaft pulley... ull have to take it to a shop if u have no idea on how to test it... but sensor should have good power and see if its sending signal on signal wire to pcm... i hope im not confusing... no start can be a real pain.. ur best shot is to take it to shop and have them fix it.. dont start throwing parts at it

Prozon

Kris
Why take it to a shop? They will throw parts at it too and charge you three times as much doing it. Mechanics are con artists, and it's always better to do it yourself and learn in the process.

BroskiLS94

well im having the same problem Hung, and my timing belt broke, so im waitin to replace it and set it back in time

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
Why take it to a shop? They will throw parts at it too and charge you three times as much doing it. Mechanics are con artists, and it's always better to do it yourself and learn in the process.
i resent that comment, there not all bad, just find a shop thats been around a while. the shop i work at has had the same ownership for 40 years, u think i'd still be there if we screwed everybody

Prozon

Kris
I'm saying you can do what any shop can do with enough reading. Problem with a shop, they cost $60 an hour, even if they don't find a problem in that hour. They'll charge you diagnosing, in which case you could probably do most of that yourself.