Is it just tired out ?

jessesandy

My 90 Integra RS is all stock with almost 300,000 miles.
If I drive conservatively the temp stays normal all day long.
When there is a high power demand on the engine (for example, accelerate to 95 mph on the freeway), the temp gauge climbs to almost "H" within 1 to 2 minutes.
If I return to easy driving the temp gauge will return to normal in about 5 to 10 minutes.
I am convinced the cooling system is fine. Also, the car passes California smog test.

Has any one had this experience ?
Is this typical of tired out hard driven Integras ?
Could it be running too lean causing high cylinder temps ? (due to clogged injectors or low fuel pressure ?)
Could it be an ignition timing/timing advance issue ?

Thanks for the help.
Todd

DumaDa9

If your car is over heating and you're positive its nothing to do with the cooling system you should do a compression test and see if you're loosing compression in any cylinders and then perhaps do a leak down test, if your car is over heating like that you could have a damaged engine or blown head gasket

emd513

i just pulled a b18a apart where the guy said pretty much the same thing and it ended up being the water pump. only three fins left on it and wasnt pushing enough water threw the system with higher demands but was enough to keep it cool when crusing at like 50. you might need a new one. or it could be you thermostat only being partially open and again there would not be enough water going threw the cooling system to keep it running cool when driving at 95. i wouldnt do it anymore till you figure it out and fix it or you could turn your bearings from the engine getting to hot or warp the head. good luck

jessesandy

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I replaced the waterpump last year and it didn't help the problem. The radiator was changed to a 2 row all metal a few years ago and I think it's fine. THe thermostat was changed also. Coolant is ciculating great.
If I do a compression check I'll let you know the results. (It is a second car and not driven much at all so as long as it passes smog again I'll be happy for now.)
Thanks again. Todd.