Key stuck on a cold day? Here is how to fix it 8D

rvasquez6089

This is my first write up. 8D constructive criticism please!
(sorry for the blurry pics, all i had was my cell phone on me at the time)
Time: 45 min - 1 hour depending on how fast you work

What you will need:
11mm deep socket
Extension
Philips Screwdriver
Flat head screw driver
paper towels
aluminum foil ( whatever you want to rub on the contacts to clean them)
and some bulb grease

1. Step one: Take off the plastic panel below the streering wheel and the glove box and take off the center panel cover. (excuse the random junk)

2. Step two: take the two bolt off holding on that yellow box.

3. Step three: test the slider on the box. turn the key in the ignition to get accessory power only and move the slider back and forward and make sure all of the different lights are turning on (P R N D S3 L 2) at the right points. What cause the key to get stuck on cold mornings is that the contacts where the park light engages are usually dirty/corroded making it hard to conduct electricity and the springs that press against the terminals are weak and hard when they are cold. This causes the parking light not to go on, thus not releasing the solenoid holding the key in. ( the previous own of my car also spilled coke in it making the springs almost non functional due the sugary mess seizing when cold -.- )

4. Step four: Fixing it. open up the box like so. Then wipe all the grease off with a paper towel and then clean the dirty terminal where park engages and the little tiny terminals on the left side of the board too.

5. Step five. Get the slider and take the small and the big copper contact plates out and make sure that the springs under them are not dirty with anything. Take them out and stretch them a big to make em a bit longer and then put the contacts back on. Also be sure to clean these contacts off too.

6. Reassemble the box (remember to put bulb grease on the slider board) and put it back on but don't tighten the bolts just yet. turn the key to accessory power again and move through all the gears and make sure sure the lights light up at the right time, if they don't align the box properly and tighten the bolts down in place and put everything back together and you should be set to go =D

If all of the shifting lights on your cluster still don't light up you have a problem somewhere else.

Honestly this part is NOT worth paying 50 bucks for. -.- just damn fix it yourself please. its 2 smalls springs and some corrosion.

Last edited:

AlphaPrime

"You are the Man!"
I've agonized over my key being stuck during the colder months for about 3 years. I've been to a Honda & Acura Dealership & all they offered was to re-key, the key. I've seen other blogs & they mentioned readusting the shift linkage pin. Your Assessment & Instruction was spot on! I don't have that issue anymore.
You mentioned constructive improvements to your instruction. I would emphasis the "Bulb Grease" because I used mechanical grease at first, which did not work. I also used a spray electronic cleaner which helped clear away my mechanical grease & other debris that may have been left over. Also I would mention on the underside of the slider is a small ball bearing & spring; to be aware that it does not fall when you are disassembling the slider from the casing. So those would be my humble suggestions if you feel the need to add.
Other than that, a Sincere Thanks for your Posting.

arbypea

Dude- 3 yrs after your post and it helped me out a lot. I was sure the problem was with the key or the ignition switch but you saved me the cost of that PLUS a new neutral safety switch. Ditto on the little ball bearing on the back of the slider--if I had lost that then it would've been $50 for the whole switch unit. I used dialectric grease which seems to be the right stuff. My springs seemed free so I didn't mess with them. If it acts up in the cold again, I might have to go back in and stretch the springs.

boneymontana

I really hate to bump this old thread, but I'm at stage four and have no idea how to open up the box without breaking it. What tools did you use the get the black plastic tabs to separate from the yellow piece?