Loose shifter

Day To Remember

On a scale of 1-10, one being the easiest and 10 being the hardest, how hard is it to tighten the shifter? and how do i do it? does anyone have a link to a video or guide?

(Update: Added a video of how bad my shifter is, an also im now having to force it into first gear and its tricky to get into it)

http://youtu.be/8k7rkHPmOMg <Video of my shifter.

Last edited:

lokibear

If your shorter is loose then usually its the bushings and clips. Buy a kit from the dealership and install it. I rate it about 3. Search Google or use the search bar on this site.

Day To Remember

is there a video or guide online on how to do all this? i really dont want to pay a shop to do it and plus i like doing all my car work myself if possible so that way i can get the hands on experience and learn.

goofygamer

I'll give it a 1. I'm not sure about a 2nd gen, but with a 3rd gen, all you have to do is go underneath your car, look for the shift linkage that has the shifter mounted to it and tighten the bolts. That that doesn't help and by "loose shifter," you mean that when your car is in gear, you can wobble the shifter, substantially, then you'll need new shifter bushings. Energy Suspension makes some great bushings. If not, you can follow this DIY, obtained from Prozon's DIY list:

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?193394-Shift-linkage-u-joint-rebuild

edit: lmao there was no response at all and while I was typing that ^^^... people started responding.

Last edited:

Alvi84

Replacing the bushing do little to correct the loose shifter. Most likely the bearing at the bottom of your shifter has seized up or the spacers are worn or broken. If you jack the car up there should be a bolt going through the shifter... check to see if there is much play in the bolt and ensure the spacers are in good shape.

I bought new bushings, installed them, and still had the shifter wobble. It was only once I replaced the bolt and nut with a locking nut did I eliminate my shifter wobble.

This picture is from a 3rd gen but I used a single bend short shifter from my old DA in my DC so I know they are the same. (Picture from Team-Integra.net)