Ls vtec, what do I need?

TomTom3975

First i know this has been asked a million times. I have a b18a1 motor and i want to make it vtec. It has high compression pistons when it was rebuilt. What else do i need? What type of vtec heads will fit on my b18a1?

DumaDa9

you can use any b series vtec head. Get a vtec head kit, should include your fittings, arp headstuds, headgasket, etc. You'll need an ecu that you can run your vtec from so you might need to convert to obd1 for that, which isnt very hard. I would actually suggest getting a shorter geared trans as well

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
the b16's have a shorter deck so you're gonna need a b16 timing belt if you go that route.

You beat me to it!

I know there's a "rule" against this now, but on this topic..SEARCH N00B!!!

btw, OP, I've got a virgin and brand-new never used P28 for sale if you're interested.
Fuck that rule. If it's a legit question they have that isn't covered 600 times a week, I can understand.
People act like the SEARCH button doesn't appear on the screen for 500 posts or 6 months, which ever comes first.:roll:

heykosal

Angkorian
Fuck that rule. If it's a legit question they have that isn't covered 600 times a week, I can understand.
People act like the SEARCH button doesn't appear on the screen for 500 posts or 6 months, which ever comes first.:roll:
I totally 100% agree..whoever made that stupid rule anyways? I disagree with it but I don't want to disrespect our rules and piss off the mods.

Anyways, like what's his^^ name said, for LS/V a GSR timing belt should be used. Along with the GSR water pump. The stock LS pieces can be used, but the belt would be a little too loose and it's deflection would be way out of spec.
If you're cheap or on a super SUPER tight budget, you can get away with the LS pieces, and I wouldn't recommend it,the motor would be much more reliable with the GSR parts.