Making engine safe for low boost

DCI-Sport

Just going to buy a cheap E-bay kit, slap it on, then as time passes, just upgrade the kit piece by piece (i.e; piping, turbo, bov, etc.). What I want to know is, (considering the engine is in good shape) what should I do to the engine to make sure it will be reliable on 6lbs of boost?

I hear ARP studs & an aftermarket headgasket will do just fine for 6lbs, but what do you guys think?

I just want to be able to slap a cheap kit on & have the car be reliable without dumping alot of money into the motor. I just wanna run 6lbs until I upgrade the kit with a different turbo, better piping, bigger intercooler, etc. (While keeping it @ 6lbs), once the kit is upgraded, then build the motor to handle more boost.

So my question for you guys is...

1) Whats the most cost efficient way to make my motor reliable on 6lbs of boost? (Again, assuming the motor is in good shape)

2) What are some good mods to do to the motor to make it handle 12lbs of boost no problem?

I don't have the car yet, so I don't know what kind of motor I will have in it. I'm pretty much just gunna take whatever motor that comes with the car I buy, then build it. All B-series motors are good & I'm not trying to achieve max power in any motor. Just going to aim around 250-300whp. Nothing too crazy, but nothing too simple.

Any help would be good. Making a list of parts to buy & planning the car out. I want to have all the parts for the car (i.e; jdm front end, turbo kit, rims, lips, cf trunk/hood, etc.) already bought, so that when I get the car, I'll have the parts ready to put on & the money to send it to paint. I'm more of a body man, but trying to learn internals now.

Rich-PMS

The motor will handle roughly 300whp... The PSI has nothing to do with what the motor can handle, it goes by power.

Get a GOOD tune!
3" exhaust
arp studs
arp rod bolts

And typically the piping and intercooler that come with an eBay turbo kit are the best/most reliable parts in the kit.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to run an oil cooler either

Bizzyb

B18C1 lover
Rich is right psi won't matter for how much power the engine can handle but if the engine is not built right it will matter as far as how dependable it will be.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Rich covered most of it

You need to do alot more researcg kn turbos and figure out what setup woul be best for you

Psi : power ratio is different with every size turbo as they move more cfms(more air) and spool/peak at different rpms

DCI-Sport

Awsome, thanks for the help guys. So if I just throw in ARP studs & ARP rod bolts, that alone should be safe to run 6lbs? I really know nearly nothing about internals @ all. I know this is a far catch, but are you by any chance the Rich from Mapple Valley that works out of his garage? Last I heard he got a shop or something. I will deff be doing more research, just kind of need something to start with.

Rich-PMS

I am from NJ, but I occasionaly do work out of a garage.

You need to figure out what size turbo you're going to run I worked on a twin turbo 300zx fhat put down 450whp at 9psi meanwhile stock puts down 260whp on 9.5psi

The_Anima7or

The Rook
hey guys, im thinking about boosting my 1993 RS with a B18A1 motor, the car is..lets say, 'seasoned' (just has 134,419 miles on it, just getting broke in lol) and i found a turbo kit, on eBay, for about 600$. i have also found 3" exhaust at corsport.com, and i have also found ARP head studs and connecting rod bolts as well. do y'all think that the car could handle this setup? and would anybody know why on eBay, on the details of the kit, it says it may not contain all parts needed for install? and additional parts may be needed.. and sorry if this is a R-tard question, but where would i happen to get a GOOD tune?

*addition: the turbo kit details says its a T3/T4 turbine or turbocharger, w/e word you like to use. here is the link in case anybody wants to peek: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170684399260#ht_3026wt_1165

and i also saw i would need a good aftermarket head gasket? so im guessing not one from a parts store, just go get one from a website?

Last edited:

kerrminator

at that amount of boost (6psi) there is NO NEED for any internal mods. You need a good engine management. Look into AEM, Uberdata, Crome, etc It's ALL about the tune!

Prozon

Kris
The_Anima7or, send me a PM and i'll help you get setup on the whole boost idea.

kerrminator, the topic was answered last January.