Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

Thanks guys.

I took some time to bleed the clutch and the brake lines. The brakes were a charm with some speed bleeders. A reman caliper I put on a few months ago needed to be cleaned up as it started rusting. I'll paint it black tomorrow to keep that from happening again.

While doing the brakes something occurred to me. I have always had an issue with the front suspension being super low even at the max height adjustment, and the lower adjustment leaves the car on the ground, literally. I brought out my tape measure and did a quick comparison of how tall the springs were even at a slightly compressed state with the collars on. I believe the springs on the rear are somewhat taller than the fronts, and I will disassemble and check them tomorrow. If thats the case, i'll swap the springs front-back and see if that gives me more adjustment for the front.

Edit: looking at this picture again, the springs on the rear (right) look thicker, so I will measure them with a caliper. If they are, they definitely are in the wrong place! Cant believe it has taken me 5 years to realize this >.<

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
the spring rates will change. you can always make or get extended top hats. That's how I ran my Tein's until I got my Buddyclub N+

mirrorimg

I understand that. The problem is that I have the front coilovers adjusted all the way up and my car is still really low. Unfortunately they redesigned the coilovers (hence the mismatched collars as I had to cut them off a while back) so information is limited. The markings on the springs also don't give me any info after searching the Web. The rear springs were Y060 DMC and the front B060 DVC.

I lied, I found the info I wanted. B is supposed on the rear and y on the front. http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h96.html

I can see the info on the link where is specifies the spring info.

Edit:I think I'll need to get some helper springs so I don't get the droop at full extension when I correct the spring positions. The VA inspections will fail me for that.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Finally got it up and running. I think theres a vacuum leak i need to chase down with the idle wandering on start up and the exhaust has a little leak.

Dont see a way to embed a video, so heres a link to the startup.

I also ordered a set of hardrace bushings from TunerSports, so I will be taking some time to replace those this holiday season.

mirrorimg

Thanks guys.

Not much going on Matt, just another engine I hope I put together properly. Haha

So it's running properly tonight. I originally thought I had my MAP and TPS plugs switched, but I was wrong. I swapped them and the car runs like it should.

Heard some clacking in my distributor so I took it off. No shims behind the piece that locks into the camshaft, so I took the end off of my LS distributor and put it in the GSR dizzy.

I let the car get up to operating temp and adjusted the idle to around 700-800 rims, then got back to tightening up my rear suspension. Tomorrow I will tightening the front, make sure all my engine mount bolts are tight, and roll it into the driveway. Might need to bleed a caliper again so I don't want to go too far :)

Also, the hardware bushings are on backorder... Until February.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

It's going to be with me for a lifetime! I don't think I'll ever be able to part ways with it.

And on a side note, there's a silver DB in the junkyard. I think I will go cut a piece out of the rear fender for a patch panel and take out the interior as it should all be black.

Edit: Yep, got a bunch of stuff at the junkyard. Main focus was new finder liners for the front and cutting a section from the rear wheel well. The passenger fender liner was destroyed and that's the one I really need (still have that repair from earlier in this thread)

I got nearly all of the interior with the exception of: driver side door panels, rear seats (these are 4 pieces in sedans), and the roof grab handles. My friend convinced me mine were gray and that turned out to be false. Rolled out of there with a wheelbarrow full and I wouldnt have even had to pay for the handles at that point (would have been counted in misc interior category). I wont be doing the interior swap until I have everything, so this is just a tease for now.

Also, I will be taking the car for a stroll around the block tomorrow, to see how everything is going.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Almost made a 30 minute drive in the car today. I was feeling good after taking it around the block and making sure everything was where it needed to be. I drove over to my parents house and started running hot on the highway and parked at a convenience store after I got off my exit. Let it cool down a bit then tried to finish the drive by coasting/killing the car and bump starting it off and on. Well when I coasted up to a light hoping for it to turn green, it didnt. When it finally did turn green, my car gave me a big F-You and decided not to start (crank, but no fire).

The cooling issue turned out to be some air in the system and after burping it, everything was good. I think the no start issue was my fuel relaying telling me it was tired of the abuse and needed a time out.

Made it home without issue after bleeding the air out.

mirrorimg

Since the car has been driven a few miles, I decided to reset the valve lash. It was a little tight. My new battery also came in the mail, i think I will be doing something different with how it mounts, but I will save that for another day. The battery mounts on its back, and rotated 180* so the positive is on the DS. Its an AGM and has no liquid in it, so no fear of it leaking.

I will not be driving it this week. Its got about 25 miles on the first oil fill, so the first change will happen this weekend to get any initial shavings out.