My 1992 has really numb steering

Rockworthy

Okay so I just bought this nice little Integra, my first acura. It's a 1992. I have a feeling there in something wrong with the steering because I'll bet these Integras are better handling than this. Okay so here it is: I have poor on-center feel, even though I have very little or no free play in the wheel. Even the slightest movement of the wheel makes the car go back and forth, but as the driver you can't tell if you're in the exact center of the steering angle. Also, and this is more annoying: there seems to be the exact same amount of effort regardless of the position of the steering wheel. So on-center it feels quite wooly, syrupy, isolated from the road. I have power steering, and have driven many sporty cars and I really think the car is not supposed to handle like this.

Problems I've noticed that may have something to do with this issue:
#1 The CV joints need to be replaced, because when I have the wheel cranked hard over in a slow turn, I can hear that distinct CV joint noise clunking away.
#2 I've also noticed a squeak in the front when the car goes over a decent sized hole, that sounds like a bushing that is worn and is squeaking at me.

Is the problem with numb steering common to the 2nd gen Acura Integra or what's the deal? Thanks for the help forum! I love this car :)

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Well if the CV joints need to be replaced I'd do that first. It will probably help the problem but I don't think it's the cause of it. Do the power steering pump leak?

Rockworthy

Well if the CV joints need to be replaced I'd do that first. It will probably help the problem but I don't think it's the cause of it. Do the power steering pump leak?
I haven't checked it but I didn't hear any whine from the pump and the power steering must be working already because when the car's not moving I can still turn the wheel quite easily.

Update: You know what this problem feels like? It feels just like both front tires are flat, but they're totally not flat. I checked the pressure and even overinflated them a little bit and no difference.

natt2000

mine feels like this, but i took my power steering completely out