Mysterious starting issue (dies after key release)

max

My '94 GSR has always fired up after turning over for just a second or so. But recently when I key the ignition and it starts it will die again immediately after I release the key. Seems like just holding the starter down longer seems to keep the car running, but am left wondering if my ignition switch is failing or if some other problem is developing. Has anyone else experienced this or have any recommendations for me? THANKS!!

moffyracing

its ur ignition switch.mine did the same so i went to the junk yard and got a replacement.problem solved......

mjones73

Is your dash lights going out too? No CEL, oil light, etc. If that's the case it's probably the switch.

If you want a new switch, Autozone carries just the switch part that bolts to the back of the key lock for like $60...

max

It's an intermittent issue, and I agree it's probably just the switch, no other symptoms, I'm thinking I'll just hold off 'till it gets worse and swap it out or try to take it apart and see if there's anything to be done about. I also have a spare from when my last 'teg got stolen, but I cut the wires on it and I'll hafta solder it up. Thanks for the replies.

atomic_peach

Had this issue. Car died on the highway and had to drive stick while holding the key in position. It wasn't fun, so have a spare available now.

I picked up a new one on rock auto for $30ish. Replacing it is a plug and play deal. You can try removing it and sanding down the contacts. This worked for me for a couple weeks. There is a tutorial somewhere about fixing it; I'll try to find it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk