NA, turbo, or swap, i'm lost????

daddy

newguy
Ok i have a b18b1 and its in like brand new condition. Ive taken it apart (completely). Its all done to specs i went off s a designs " how to rebuild a honda b series engine". I want as much horsepower as i can get for my dollar. Though i want it to last and it is a dd. I only have about 1000$. I wanted to rebuild my motor but to get real gains (from what ive read) you have to spend a great deal with this motor. Then i researched turbo and unless you have a pro your paying alot its not so dependable. That leaves me with a swap. I was considering selling my motor for parts or as a whole how ever u guys think i would make more money and swap the h22a. Only b/c of the displacement did i go with this swap decision. But from what ive read its so much heavier it throws the car off balance. But its the most power for its money. When i bought this car it had a freshley swaped completly rebuilt stock b18b1. So thats the wiring situation. Im still new and i have invested alot of time into learning about my car ( 93ls ) and alot of different motors. I just dont have a very big budget and i want some sort of significant gain. I personally prefer n/a but all advice is appreciated. Any advice actually. Thanks alot guys Corey d
p.s. I know there is alot of info out there on this build but this will be my first build, and im looking for fresh ideas. On a budget. I need this car within 6 months for a job im getting also. Thats why its suddenly urgent

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
i say this daily, boost is the best bang for ur buck, 1-1.5k for a decent set up(10psi for the most power with little if none long term damage), 300 for a ecu, 200 for tune and a good hp boost

daddy

newguy
right on. A friend of mine has a greddy turbo and says he wants 800 and also says its 3500 new. Or was. I just have no idea how to even start to hook up turbo. Ive read 4 different books about building b series engines and ive excluded everything but n/a. Ive never even worked on a lawn mower. I know i can do this but ive read that to do turbo i should rebuild my head. Valve train and all. What did you mean by 1.5k. Where could i get a set up for that.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
well i was saying new, you'll save a lot of money buying used and even parting it together,
1-1.5k=1000$-1500$
as long as you have a good turbo, waste gate, BOV, and a decent intercooler, you can skimp on the piping
you don't have to do anything to boost an engine, they can handle usually up to 10psi for a long time, but if you have the money, you can sleeve the block, that will make it more durable, and you can get more out of your turbo
and the hardest part about hoking up a turbo is probly the oil lines which aren't that hard, the rest is putting pipes together lol. just make sure u get it tuned imediatly after if you end up installing it yourself.

btw: i really admire your dedication, your obviously new to this stuff (as am i, ive been into cars for less than a year :) ) and your doing good research, you will learn alot form this forum

Last edited:

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
i forgot about headers lol, sorry im tired, good headers are around 600 new so im sure u can get some decent ones cheap.

daddy

newguy
thanx bro. Yea theres like no one were im from that even knows what a b18 is. Im addicted to honda i wish working on and driving them was my job. But i said thank you for letting me know im doing somthing right. Ive tried to explain stuff to some of my friends and they look at me like im a rubic's cube. I think its great but sometimes google dosent answer everything. And theres no one to say " hey your doin a great job." I bought my teg late in sep last year, a couple of months ago and i havent stopped dreaming yet. But like i said thanxs your the first person who's said somthin positive.
And i got a good idea of what your talking about. As long as you assemble the engine and turbo correctly, tuning, and ecu will do the rest of the work. But let me say this ive got my enigne completely dissembled. MY Crank is standing on my desk infront of me. MY block is under my coffee table. So do you have any advice on a better way to rebuild it? I cant pin point where but somwhere i read about using a head gaskett thats a layer thinner and increases comp. . U know anything about this? Or would i just wanna rebuild completly stock including head gasket, oil pump, etc.... in exception of the header, ecu, turbo,...ect. Thanks

daddy

newguy
by the way if i was to want to go to school to do what were tallking about where would i go? Im sure they have some fancy title for it but i want to learn how to build high performance engines. Period. Hondas my fav. but i want to learn about all of it. Someone told me UTI is based on this criteria. I have my associates in health science and i totally couldnt care less about the medical field anymore. MY girl is a RN and i just figured i would like it, but i know what i wanna do now. And its not in a hospital its in a Garage.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
somwhere i read about using a head gaskett thats a layer thinner and increases comp. . U know anything about this? Or would i just wanna rebuild completly stock including head gasket, oil pump, etc.... in exception of the header, ecu, turbo,...ect. Thanks
ive heard of a extra layer head gasket that increases comp, removing a layer would decreases comp, but no i haven't heard of one, and that would be a good idea but would probly be expensive as hell to make a thin piece of metal as durable as something 3x as thick

i know what i wanna do now. And its not in a hospital its in a Garage.
hell yea dude, pursue your dreams!
im not sure about colleges, ive heard of uti and seen the commercials, they seem legit. my dads a heavy machinery mechanic, works on bulldozers, escavators, but can fix pretty much anything haha, and i know how you feel, im a senior in HS and allways felt like i wanted to be an architect or some where in that field, but ever since i got into the car scene, i just want to be surrounded by it and am extremely interested in it, and i think i have a good start on knowledge, with all the help from here and my dad.

Last edited: