Need Help, How To Remove Key/igniton Cylinder

integraGSRkid

integraGSRkid
My Key Wont Go In All The Way Anymore. It Stops At Half Way And I Had To Take Apart The Key Switch To Start It Like That(screwdriver) But I Want To Remove That Cylinder Where The Key Goes In So I Can Replace It With Another One. How Can I Remove It. It Looks Like It Has 2 Huge Rivets. Any Ideas????

mirrorimg

You need to drill out the "rivets." They are actually snap-off screws. When they are tightened, the head snaps off so that it cannot be removed to enable thieves to steal the car. If you replace the key lock cylinder, you need new keys. This means you will have 2 keys. One to turn the car on, and another to open the door/trunk.

And please stop typing in all caps. You have no idea how difficult it is to read when the system changes you all caps to first-letter only caps.

I suggest playing with the key-lock cyl some before you replace it. I thought I needed to replace mine, because it had the same issue. Turned out the guy before me had pulled the key out when it was in the Accessory position, and each time I put the key in it didnt insert fully, preventing me from moving it to the off position.

integraGSRkid

integraGSRkid
ok ok thanks and where did you get your key cylinder at? used? did you have to drill out the rivets if it was from a used car and did you just used bolts and nuts to replace the rivets? im thinking of looking for someone thats parting out there integra and just take his but im not sure if bolts and nuts will work...

roscolarianni

You need to drill out the "rivets." They are actually snap-off screws. When they are tightened, the head snaps off so that it cannot be removed to enable thieves to steal the car. If you replace the key lock cylinder, you need new keys. This means you will have 2 keys. One to turn the car on, and another to open the door/trunk.

And please stop typing in all caps. You have no idea how difficult it is to read when the system changes you all caps to first-letter only caps.

I suggest playing with the key-lock cyl some before you replace it. I thought I needed to replace mine, because it had the same issue. Turned out the guy before me had pulled the key out when it was in the Accessory position, and each time I put the key in it didnt insert fully, preventing me from moving it to the off position.
How many rivets are there and where could i find pics on where it is?