Need help on Car Horn- Integra 2000

mtomboc

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this club, so cut me some slack okay ? Anyways, my horn is not working and I was wondering how do I fix it ? A friend told me to look at the fuse box, but I couldn't find the "car horn fuse." I'm just wondering where I can find it and if I need to replace the car horn itself or just look at the fuse ?

Please help,

Thank you,

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Not sure if there is a fuse for the horn, but there should be a schematic under your fusebox cover. That should tell you. If not, try taking a multimeter to the plug of the horn and see if your getting voltage while someone is pressing down on the horn button. If you got voltage, then you got a bad horn which you can find a used one for cheap.

mtomboc

Not sure if there is a fuse for the horn, but there should be a schematic under your fusebox cover. That should tell you. If not, try taking a multimeter to the plug of the horn and see if your getting voltage while someone is pressing down on the horn button. If you got voltage, then you got a bad horn which you can find a used one for cheap.

Hey thanks for the reply, I've checked the schematic and there's nothing that says "Horn." As for using the multimeter, I connect it to the plug of the horn ? The horn is usually located near the bottom of the front bumper, correct ?

jesusfreeke

also an easy way to check the horn relay, fuse, and wiring is to get the car to a nice quiet place and push the horn button. If you hear a slight clicking sound when you press and release the horn, this will indicate that the circuit is working properly and therefore isolate the horn itself as the culprit. If you do not hear the clicking sound then you will have to do as prescribed above and check the horn fuse and maybe even further back in the circuit. You should have someone help you listen for the clicking sound so you can be sure you are hearing correctly. Also the horn may be on a fuse that is shared with other accessories so if those accessories are working you can eliminate the fuse from the equation as well.

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Hey thanks for the reply, I've checked the schematic and there's nothing that says "Horn." As for using the multimeter, I connect it to the plug of the horn ? The horn is usually located near the bottom of the front bumper, correct ?
Yea, just stick the red wire in the plug and the black wire to the ground. I believe there is only one wire going into the horn which is the positive and the horn makes it's own ground on the frame. Not sure what voltage your suppose to get, but I'm pretty sure it's 12VDC. The horn is located right behine the passenger side marker light. Should be able to get to it if you take the marker light off or part of the inner fender cover.

mtomboc

also an easy way to check the horn relay, fuse, and wiring is to get the car to a nice quiet place and push the horn button. If you hear a slight clicking sound when you press and release the horn, this will indicate that the circuit is working properly and therefore isolate the horn itself as the culprit. If you do not hear the clicking sound then you will have to do as prescribed above and check the horn fuse and maybe even further back in the circuit. You should have someone help you listen for the clicking sound so you can be sure you are hearing correctly. Also the horn may be on a fuse that is shared with other accessories so if those accessories are working you can eliminate the fuse from the equation as well.
HEY, yeah while I was driving I heard clicking every time I pressed the horn buttons. So, that means the horn circuit is working and I just have to replace the horn? Yeah, all my accessories are working at the moment and I hear the clicking every time I press the buttons. I guess I gotta replace the horn then

THANK YOU!

jesusfreeke

HEY, yeah while I was driving I heard clicking every time I pressed the horn buttons. So, that means the horn circuit is working and I just have to replace the horn? Yeah, all my accessories are working at the moment and I hear the clicking every time I press the buttons. I guess I gotta replace the horn then

THANK YOU!
well now hold yer horses. yes it isolates the horn but a bad ground can complete the circuit but might drop enough voltage to negate or allow the horn to operate. I am sure you will find 12 vdc at the horn but you should inspect the grounding area and wire for signs of corrosion and damage. Also remove the bolt or screw and clean off the screw, wire connecter that the screw goes through and also the surface of the body where the screw, bolt or washer actually mate together. If this all looks good and is all cleaned up and still doesn't work then think about removing the horn and testing it to a direct connection the the battery to be absolutely sure it is defective

mtomboc

well now hold yer horses. yes it isolates the horn but a bad ground can complete the circuit but might drop enough voltage to negate or allow the horn to operate. I am sure you will find 12 vdc at the horn but you should inspect the grounding area and wire for signs of corrosion and damage. Also remove the bolt or screw and clean off the screw, wire connecter that the screw goes through and also the surface of the body where the screw, bolt or washer actually mate together. If this all looks good and is all cleaned up and still doesn't work then think about removing the horn and testing it to a direct connection the the battery to be absolutely sure it is defective
Alright, I'll give it a look through and just examine it for now, before I do anything. Should I just click the horn button to find the wire and follow it back to the fuse ?Anyways, I'll look through it for now before I do anything. I want to get this done for safety reasons.

jesusfreeke

Alright, I'll give it a look through and just examine it for now, before I do anything. Should I just click the horn button to find the wire and follow it back to the fuse ?Anyways, I'll look through it for now before I do anything. I want to get this done for safety reasons.
If you hear the click the fuse is good. The relay would not energize if the fuse was blown