Need some ideas, teggy is hard to start.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Here is the problem, its not always like this but probably 80% of the time. When I start the car no matter if cold or hot, it cranks like normal but doesn't start right up. Ive cleaned the ICV, throttle body, MAP, and IAT. I know some of those don't have anything to do with it but just putting it out there. If I put my foot on the gas a little, it seems to help but I dont know if thats because there is more air entering the engine or if its the extra gas pumped in. Once it starts, it doesn't have a problem, runs like a champ.

So here is where you come in, what other things should I check? Thanks!

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Im going to be replacing that soon as I near 90,000miles. But if it were the fuel filter, I was thinking that it might be, why would it only give me trouble on start up and no problems when started? Thanks OG

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Im going to be replacing that soon as I near 90,000miles. But if it were the fuel filter, I was thinking that it might be, why would it only give me trouble on start up and no problems when started? Thanks OG
It's hard to say. From my memory, you never really push your car hard, right? If not, try pulling to redline on a couple gears at WOT to see if there is any lag, delay, or sputter. Could be your starter as well, maybe

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Was thinking about doing that too! Starter sounds like it always has so im pretty sure thats fine. I think ill do a couple drags and maybe itll help push out the crap.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
It could be a lot; mechanical or electrical. Womping on it a handful of times can give you an idea if it's mechanical, imo

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I did run it up a few times yesterday and it ran fine at higher speeds, VTEC kicked in like butter. Keep the ideas coming in guys!

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Replaced the fuel filter today and started right up! Bummer part was that later, when I went to start it, it gave me the exact same problem... What's next on the list? I was thinking that maybe my fuel pump could be bad but I dont have a DSO to test it! Any other ideas?

Caligsrmxn

i had a very similar problem a while back, i replace everything you can think of, everything from fuel pump to main relay and at the end i ended up changing my coolant temp sensor and all my prblems went away. im not saying this could be happeninig to yours but its an idea.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
FITV is next on the list of things to clean. Have heard of the ECT issue from Jim and may check for resistance on the sensor to see if its in spec. Thanks guys.

Sammich

any solution been found on this? i've been having a similar start up problem. it's a hard start no matter if the car is cold or hot. here's the difference in mine

when i get it started it idles rough...after about like 10 seconds or so it'll idle out and drive/idle fine until the next time i have to start up again. i'ave had the assumption that i've had a weak HG but i dont know if that'd be the issue here

oh yea, i put half a can of seafoam in this past saturday thinking that would remedy the situation, well it did for about 5 or so start ups and then it went back to the old start up. Granted this car does have a tendency to sit up but i usually run the car until the gas is out of the tank every time i do drive it. do you think i should do 93 octane for a little while?

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
:rolf: @ Pat's noob problem solving skills :haha:

You shouldn't run the car out of gas, that strains the fuel pump and increases your chances of sucking dirt up in it.

Might even be part of your problem, might have low fuel pressure, that's how my mustang acted when the pump was running about 10psi low because it was going bad.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
any solution been found on this? i've been having a similar start up problem. it's a hard start no matter if the car is cold or hot. here's the difference in mine

when i get it started it idles rough...after about like 10 seconds or so it'll idle out and drive/idle fine until the next time i have to start up again. i'ave had the assumption that i've had a weak HG but i dont know if that'd be the issue here

oh yea, i put half a can of seafoam in this past saturday thinking that would remedy the situation, well it did for about 5 or so start ups and then it went back to the old start up. Granted this car does have a tendency to sit up but i usually run the car until the gas is out of the tank every time i do drive it. do you think i should do 93 octane for a little while?
do a full tune up