Obd1 p72 ecu?

98DC2GSR

98DC2GSR
Hey guys I am just wanting to make sure that this is a virgin P72, I am starting to learn about tuning and m looking at an OBD1 ECU and want to start with a virgin one. From what i can see it is but i want the experts final say.

98DC2GSR

98DC2GSR
Other than the fact the you opened it looks pretty virgin to me
Alright just checking, got it for free with an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness, Ive already hooked it up to my car and so far it works completely fine. Was helping a buddy clean out his garage after a few months ago he totaled his gsr swapped ek and he is done with the whole scene so hes getting rid of everything and i came across this in a box and he said he was going to chip it and run hondata but ended up going with a P28 and he was jus like you can have it since he knows im runnning obd2 and want to go obd1 so i can tune

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Virgin P72s are getting rare. Good find.

Amiguel6

It means it has been tweaked and tuned using a software, usually to gain more power for a faster response etc

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
OP, it appears to be a virgin P72, nice find. Are you going to chip it yourself? Phearable and Xenocron sell DIY chipping kits. Get yourself an Ostrich so you don't have to continuously write chips too! and if you wanna go totally free, get Crome (free version) and Freelog. Neptune and Hondata are good systems if you want to shell out the money.

What happens if your ecu isn't virgin
It means it has had a chip soldered into it with a tune or basemap for a specific vehicle. Depending on the ecu, there are a few jumpers that need to be soldered in as well. This is problematic because if you want the ecu to run right for your car, you need to write a new tune and re-chip it (or run an emulator like a Moates Ostrich). Another reason is that If the chipping was done by a n00b, it can lead to some bad failures. Still though, chipping and DIY tuning is one of the cheapest ways one can actually tune a car properly.

Last edited:

98DC2GSR

98DC2GSR
OP, it appears to be a virgin P72, nice find. Are you going to chip it yourself? Phearable and Xenocron sell DIY chipping kits. Get yourself an Ostrich so you don't have to continuously write chips too! and if you wanna go totally free, get Crome (free version) and Freelog. Neptune and Hondata are good systems if you want to shell out the money.

It means it has had a chip soldered into it with a tune or basemap for a specific vehicle. Depending on the ecu, there are a few jumpers that need to be soldered in as well. This is problematic because if you want the ecu to run right for your car, you need to write a new tune and re-chip it (or run an emulator like a Moates Ostrich). Another reason is that If the chipping was done by a n00b, it can lead to some bad failures. Still though, chipping and DIY tuning is one of the cheapest ways one can actually tune a car properly.
Nooooo I'm not going to do it myself for the same reason in what you said in the second half of your comment, I'm a noob lol if I had a second one then I'd try it all myself by I want it all done right the first time and yeah I know of chrome, Neptune and Hondata and was thinking of chrome to start with for that same reason of the free version but how good is it? I was going to go with that till I get some money saved up to go with the hondata s300. There's a very reputable shop not far from me called Tampa bay tuned/area 51 and they specialize in Honda's and have an 8 second ej1