OEM vs Aftermarket as a first car?

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Thinking about turbo's lately. I never built or owned a turbo setup before, but i have driven them. In my case, would it be better for me to find a car that is turbo from factory, or a turbo that was built by a previous owner? Whats the pro and con for both setups?

94RS

No fucks given.
Depends on the type of car and how well the owner has taken care of it.

Something like a stock T5 Volvo will run forever compared to a cheaply turbocharged Civic.

That being said, if quality parts were used in the turbo build, it's tuned right and isn't beaten on a daily basis, it should be reliable... But won't be cheap.

What kinds of cars have you been looking at? Stock and modded?

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Modded cars that i cant afford :rolf:

I search on craigs for turbo and boosted cars. Not sure which route to go

SoundEfx

My suggestion is to buy the car you want and then boost it. That way you know how it is built.
I have seen too many butchered boosted cars on craigslist with so many problems, that it's not worth getting and fixing.

But if you decide to get a factory boosted car, always remember that the seller is selling it for a reason.
Also, in the list of 'fixes' they have, rebuilding the turbo is hardly on there.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Oh just convert to a 2JZGE-T... I agree with 94rs and I would also suggest to make sure the fucker has his receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
hahaha, i will be doing a pre-buyers inspection for sure.

I guess i should be asking, is NA-t a good starter package?

phatintegra

Banned
you need to ask yourself. I can poor money into building one and won't make the amount of money back when it's time to sell or I can save money and buy a stock turbo vehicle from the plant.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
You are on a honda forum, and no honda's come turbocharged from the factory other than the new civic.
With that being said, if you can afford a boosted car from the factory i would go this route as it is way less painful.

On the other hand, if you love honda's, then doing a NA-T build is really your only option.
I see you have had a GSR before and now a IS300 so I am sure you are well aware of the amount of $$$ it takes to build a quality built turbo setup on these honda's.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
I been meaning to come back on here, but kept forgetting. I think i will go with factory first. Used or abused will be the route i take, because $50k for new is plain stupid.

94RS

No fucks given.
You are on a honda forum, and no honda's come turbocharged from the factory other than the new civic.

As far as the cars we can get here go, you're right... Remember the widebody Honda City from the 80s :mrgreen:

But why Honda decided their first modern boosted engine belonged in a damn crossover is beyond me.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Lexus did the same thing with their first boosted motor in NX200t. Now the boost has moved into the IS200t. This only comes in automatic and waiting; no, more wishing they would throw in a manual for the sake of it.

I was looking at the Evo IX. What about other models that is in the 5-10 years old? Stock and nothing over $20k

94RS

No fucks given.
- Evo 8/9
- Hawk eye WRX/STi
- SRT4, because they're cheap
- Volvo C30 T5/R-Design
- Saab 9-2x Aero (WRX wagon in disguise)
- Mazdaspeed 3

Can't think of anything else right now, but stay away from turbo Genesis' and Veloster's.

Last edited:

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
- Evo 8/9
- Hawk eye WRX/STi
- SRT4, because they're cheap
- Volvo C30 T5/R-Design
- Saab 9-2x Aero (WRX wagon in disguise)
- Mazdaspeed 3

Can't think of anything else right now, but stay away from turbo Genesis' and Veloster's.

All good choices. I would be weary of the Saab since they aren't in business. Friends family has one, reliable but a pain in the ass to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94RS

No fucks given.
When I was working at the Buick/GMC dealer (which shared the garage with Hyundai), between the Genesis' and Veloster's, there would be at least one of each every week or two getting another engine put in... It was to the point that they started stocking up on engines in the parts department.

End of the day, it's still a Hyundai with the same Hyundai problems as the older cars... Which is why they give that 100k mile warranty, that doesn't cover a fucking thing :rolf: