Phil's Lawn Care...In Progress.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Thanks for not deleting the thread

Gotta keep them next door neighbors off the lawn. Then they put up a chain link fence :D

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
So you like rye grass? Here are a couple before and after shots from some rye grass action last year. From full on flood, disked, then in full growth. Red arrow pointing at a deer stand for reference since the pictures are all taken of the same field but different angles. The top of it is 16' high, so that gives you an idea of how much water we had on our hands.

Attachments

Last edited:

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
So you like rye grass? Here are a couple before and after shots from some rye grass action last year. From full on flood, disked, then in full growth. Red arrow pointing at a deer stand for reference since the pictures are all taken of the same field but different angles. The top of it is 16' high, so that gives you an idea of how much water we had on our hands.
Damn, thats some serious flooding. Where is that at?

I prefer Turt Type Tall Fescue, but it i ended up going with the Northwest blend of Rye and Fescue mix. In a couple years, i plan to really do some serious work on regrading the yard and ad TTTF grass instead.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Damn, thats some serious flooding. Where is that at?

I prefer Turt Type Tall Fescue, but it i ended up going with the Northwest blend of Rye and Fescue mix. In a couple years, i plan to really do some serious work on regrading the yard and ad TTTF grass instead.
That's off the Trinity River in east TX, the lower 100 acres or so floods like that every so often. Makes it a real risk to plant anything because you will lose it all, but it's also what makes the ground so good. Above the flood line it's all hybrid coastal bermuda, then we overseed rye in the winter. That's at the ranch for cattle and wildlife habitat though.

Everyone around here uses St Augustine or a variant for residential. Fescue and rye don't do too well in our blazing summers. Of course by using St Augustine, there's never any overseeding so it makes weed control a breeze. Just put barricade down every few months.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Guess its a better time than any to catch up 2015 lawn care. The main reason is, i am going to start with the 2016 Fall lawn care soon. Sorry for the delay

I added fast acting lime and Epsom salt to the soil 4 weeks after laying down the grass seeds. I also added 1lb of Nitrogen per 1,000 ft square of starter fertilizer to get the roots to grow deeper in preparation for the winter season.

Here are the results after a week of laying down the applications. Ignore the weeds and the different shades and length of grass. I didnt properly kill all the old grass with herbicides to kill the vegetation on the yard.

Day 33

Looks fully developed when kneeling down :lol:

Day 40 and the end of 2015 lawn care

Went out and bought a new leaf blower to add to my lawn maintenance. Blew the leaves in the yard, then vacuumed it up with the lawnmower :p Then did my first mowing of the new lawn. Had to make stripes to dominate the neighborhood

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
March 2016 after the first mowing. I added starter fertilizer and insecticide around fathers day. This is the best time to feed the grass and killing grubs and other insects as the ground thaws out.

I use crabgrass preventer around mid May. This is the best time to use it, since there is a very small window to add it. Also, preventer only works within 3 weeks after application. Where I live, it starts to grow in June. Stop it before it starts.

One pic in April. Just before summer, I applied organic fertilizer. I have been thinking of going with Milorganite.

This thread is caught up, so now onto the current Fall 2016.

Here is the end of summer pics. We had a crazy summer and I wasnt able to arrogate the ground to prevent the grass to go into dormancy. I lost the battle, so I decided to save water this summer. This is how the lawn looks now :(

I am applying starter fertilizer, iron, insecticide, epsom salt, fast acting lime, and grass seeds. I did each application 3 days apart, so I dont shock the lawn while its coming back from dormancy.

R13

The other asshole
Just imagine the car parts you could've bought with all the money you spent on that lawn care shit :lol: