Post edit blues. The advice, tips and questions column.

XjoEnX

^ That one looks too edited, imo. I know I personally don't like it when it is obvious that the photo was altered, but to each their own. Nothing beats a quality raw photo.

I need to detail my car and get a photoshoot done soon...My ROTM needs better pics. lol
Yep. I used to edit that same way but have grown to dislike the style after like two months. I like how Tom's came out pre and post editing and still looks very natural. Not to knock on LsTeg because he does great work, but the contrast/highlight boost is not the style I'm into anymore.

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
Yep. I used to edit that same way but have grown to dislike the style after like two months. I like how Tom's came out pre and post editing and still looks very natural. Not to knock on LsTeg because he does great work, but the contrast/highlight boost is not the style I'm into anymore.
your not knocking on me man...hehe...:) i like criticism that's the only way i get better at shooting and doing well in my field...besides its the ones that say that photo or that design looks like crap that piss me off because its like if it looks like crap then tell me what to do to try to fix it or what way i should approach it next.

professional criticism is the word i was looking for lol :lol:

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
This photo right here i saved im not sure who shot it but its nice n simple and would love to learn how he shot it and what his settings were and if he used any editing at all.....:) It is a change i would love to make towards my photos..:) Not feeling tha big ass glare in the back, but the sharpness and comfort setting nails it right on for me :thumbs up

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
Here is another good thing that i found that should be here in this thread.. Below is a critique an individual received when applying and tampering with an effect...

Photo that edited....

f0ru0l0rd Aug 30, 2008 Student Digital Artist
is the point to make her look like they have skin cancer???

Sometimes, effect for effect sake is just dangerous. This effect enhances noise, and makes something dark, and moody. I don't see how that applies to this person or this piece at all.

I don't mean this as extreme criticism, but I want to show you what I see from a critical eye. This effect when used on people, makes the older, and damages their skin, and enhances wrinkles. That's the total opposite of what people normally want. Again, here, it seems awkward.

It's just my 2 cents, but next time, look at an image, and say " should this piece be tampered with, or does it convey it's message just fine by itself?" Then if it does need it, ask how you could change it to make the message better. Would this picture be happy? Do I want to damage it if it's happy? What about dark, do I want to make it smoother and brighter if it's a moody piece? These are questions you should ask yourself.

Good luck.

I believe this was great advice to someone just starting to edit photos. as to what NEMESIS crb was suggesting in his earlier post. I like this thread...Glad he made it...Props to Nemesis :thumbs up

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
This photo retouchment caught my attention as well...Would love to see his processing on how he achieve this over all effect...:)

and the one below...ridiculous lol funny and makes me want to drink jack daniels lol

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Imo photography is fairly black and white (chuckle) in its fundamentals. Photos on the other hand have a broader dynamic because they introduce elements not based on photography. We have to remember that the end result is neither a right or wrong way (but can look good or bad). Its how you as the photographer or editor want to present the final image to your viewers. I consider photos and images two separate things that often go hand in hand.

I know you (Lsteg) dont use photoshop but my equivalent for what you did with your software would be the clarity slider. And i use it sometimes (to taste) for desired effect. I actually did pump it up a few notches (-100/+100 range) to get a little more gloss out of the paint. The more i use it the more it washes out colors and generally has a similar effect to bumping contrast. The more it washes out some color though i have to push the saturation or vibrance up.

Images like the two above usually have quite a bit of editing and effects/graphics involved to achieve them. The one with the smoking i wouldnt consider photography but imagery. The top one less so but still i bet it contains many added elements to produce the desired image. Theyre all things i would like to be able to do (if i ever have time to get that far) but i need to get my photos straight first. lol

Oh also i dont like using that degree of 'clarity' (photoshop raw adjustment) on people (the old lady).

Thanks guys but its everyones contribution that breathes life to the thread!

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
This photo right here i saved im not sure who shot it but its nice n simple and would love to learn how he shot it and what his settings were and if he used any editing at all.....:) It is a change i would love to make towards my photos..:) Not feeling tha big ass glare in the back, but the sharpness and comfort setting nails it right on for me :thumbs up

That belongs to one Mr. Goofygamer!

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
This thread is all about learning. Ive dropped highlights when the glare's been strong but i hadnt thought to slide it up to increase some of the shine. Gotta try it out and see what it produces. Im thinking the usual methods for a more glossy paint will still be better.

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
Good idea. Although I don't know how well I'll take losing to Peara all the time. :)
Have FAITH MAN!.......im game for some photo contests....BRING THEM ON! lol

win or lose....i can't wait to see others creative sides on editing :)