reversed polarity on accident

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
okay so I had everything hooked up correctly all up to the starter, I hooked up the starter incorrectly and all of a sudden bam fire in the trunk because thats where the battery is. So I get power to every fuse and the rest of the stuff gets power. battery is good still, but when I turn the ignition nothing on the dash turns on nor the radio or lights inside or anything so there is probably a fuse I can't find that blew because it seems a lot of stuff gets power.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Good Example of a REASON to diagnose:
My car's starter wouldn't engage
Took it out and brought it to AAP and it worked
Put it back in still didn't work
Took it back out again to test it myself and worked
Put it back in drove it to warehouse to work on.
Got the idea to use jumper cable to give positive feed
I got a new cable and everything hooked up to it.
I forgot the nut at home and I decided to just use a same size nut with different threads
Tried getting it on and the stud actually turned wth it, but I still got hte nut on
Then I hooked it all up, started a fire in my trunk because batteries were in the trunk.

MORALE OF STORY:
CHECK EVERY GOD DAMN CONNECTION AND USE VOLT METER, it turns out the power cable shook loose from the battery to the starter, if I had just checked for a continuity in the freaking first place i wouldn't of broken the stud in the first place. Now I have to get a brand new starter for just not checking my power continuity... big smack in the fucking head