RiGHT HAND DRIVE QUESTION

dc2_bert

Im planning to convert my integra to RHD but I recently been told by highway patrol its illegal to have such type of conversion and it can be taking away plus crush:( so my question is…was he lying or whats the proper way to do a RHD legally in Cali? Shoot me your feedback guys thanks in advance

dlo253

check your state laws. its your car and money, make sure you know whats right. dont trust strangers when it comes to shit like that

Charly[horse]

Name = John
^this, it isn't hard to look up statutes for your state and you will probably learn other good info when searching for that particular statute

BrianZ

It is not illegal to do the conversion. talk to the DMV, they can give you the detail info on what needs to be done.
Basically do your conversion, have the CHP inspect the car (looking to make sure its safe and all vin #s in in place), have dmv register you car as a RHD

more info here

phatintegra

Banned
It is illegal due to safety because your cutting the firewall and welding another firewall in place. It will fail state inspection. It's not illegal to have one shipped that was straight out of the factory plant but the Skyline R34 the US banned it completely.

You need to check with your DMV and car insurance first. Some state may or may not slide it thru. Cali good luck there are one of the most strict laws for vehicle modification beside Virginia.

Last edited:

BrianZ

It is illegal due to safety because your cutting the firewall and welding another firewall in place. It will fail state inspection. It's not illegal to have one shipped that was straight out of the factory plant but the Skyline R34 the US banned it completely.

You need to check with your DMV and car insurance first. Some state may or may not slide it thru. Cali good luck there are one of the most strict laws for vehicle modification beside Virginia.
I'm not trying to start anything, but why would you say replacing the firewall is illegal ?

If done right (remove all original spot welds, re-spot weld and apply seam sealer) its just as good as the original.

phatintegra

Banned
1. Your not suppose to tamper the firewall because it's a saftey equipment.
2. Your tampering with the firewall Vin #.
3. It will fail saftey inspection due to the firewall is tampered with.

BrianZ

1. Your not suppose to tamper the firewall because it's a saftey equipment.
2. Your tampering with the firewall Vin #.
3. It will fail saftey inspection due to the firewall is tampered with.
1) I cannot find any laws that say I cannot replace the firewall. If your going on safety then I cannot replace any of the bumpers or hood ( they are all part of the crumple zone)..
2) If you modify the vin# itself that it illegal, but you can cut around the vVIN and attach it to the new firewall. I have seen it done and passed inspection. After doing some more looking around in the vehicle code I cant see where you have to have the VIN on the firewall. It just states that for the years our cars were made (94-01) you just need two vin # attached to the car minimum (i.e. dash and door jam) . In a repair of the firewall the VIN would not have to be reproduced.
3) If you do a crappy job, and don't remove the compete firewall and install the new one as the factory did, yes you will fail. But repalceing the firewall is not an automatic fail

Nick_C78

In Ca you need to get it Blue Tag inspected. RHD is legal here.
This.

Think rationally. How do you guys think people make cars, motorcycles, and trailers from scratch and get them registered? Kit cars are another example. You just have to have them inspected. Basically with the right paperwork and money it will become legal.