running rich and bad idle

ktownstomp407

ok so heres my issue have a teggy wit a jdm b20 and it is running rich as all hell. i have a stock fuel pump and injectors and a after market fpr. (its AEM) it was running rich before i replaced the stock fpr. I have the gauge for the fp and its at 44psi and i have no check engine. I have a P72 ecu chipped with a base map and disabled the o2 sensor so i dont think thats it. An when in idle it sounds like a lawn mower it goes up and down i cleaned the iac but I HAVE NO CLUE please help my fellow teggy owners cuz im stuck lol

Jabes

the o2 sensor thats on the header controls the a/f ratio which could be why its running rich. Id suggest getting the car tuned for the motor by a pro

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
sounds like an o2 sensor to me. without monitoring how rich or lean you are it'll just go haywire. Your fuel pressure should read 31-36 psi on a b18b1 and 38-46 on a b18c1 with the vacuum line to the regulator ATTACHED. hows the airfilter? make sure nothings clogging the air coming into engine. any other symptoms?

ktownstomp407

there ia no o2 sensor on my heads for sum reason just under the car on the exhaust i didnt have a o2 sensor on my civic i had lsv and it ran fine. And the air filter is clean i got a hks air filter and i jus spray it wit brake cleaner so its clean. it smokes black at idle not real bad but u can see it up close and if its idleing for a min and push the gas alot of smoke comes out after i rev for a min the smokes gone idk if that will help any

Last edited:

vonnyvegas

well the o2 sensor we're talking about is on the exhaust before the cat. Personally I'd never clean an air filter with brake clean but thats just me. Chipped ECU with base map.....and no reading from an o2.... that's where I'd start my testing. Any reason you decided the o2 was unnecessary? But forgetting all that you could have leaking injectors or your computer thinks they're a different size, not enough airflow, or when was the last time you checked the plugs? vacuum leak can cause idle to go up and down but if your runnin rich doesn't sound like thats it...what other mods you have whats stock from donor car and whats stock from your car?

Prozon

Kris
Some cars do not have an O2 sensor on the manifold. Mine is on the exhaust pipe below the transmission.
I would think that could be it. Why was it you removed it, also.. why was it tuned?
Could be a bad tune..

vonnyvegas

Some people consider it the manifold some just consider it exhaust regardless of all that Prozon has a good location description, under the trans maybe a little downward but its before the catalytic converter and if you have a dual o2 sensor setup the 2nd is after the cat/on the cat. I'm totally with Prozon on this one why was it removed/disabled and why was it tuned

vonnyvegas

oh and just because your civic lsv didn't have a o2 doesn't mean this car doesn't need one

ktownstomp407

i didnt tune it just put a map. When i got the car the ecu was already chipped so i thought he had a bad map thats y it was rich. i dont know y they disabled it just thought they always did so it wouldnt throw the code ill get a new o2 sensor and try that cuz i tryed everything else. When i got the car they had all the wires cut up under dash for alarm and cut up the wires for the fuel pump just trying to figure wtf they did wit there bright ideas lol. all i got is intake and the fpr and a crappy exhaust wit no cat. The injectors are clean i checked them. other than that its completely stock.

Last edited: