Shift light RPM wire tap.

Ok so I am trying to install a shift light in my 97 and I am trying to figure out where to splice into the rpm signal wire. I read somewhere that you can tap into it in the engine bay at the distributer and theres the rpm signal wire terminated with an empty plug. Can I attach the signal wire to the shift light right to the empty plug that the rpm signal wire terminates to? and how would I go about doing that like does it crimp or something.

I read that and the wording confused me a bit and then I wtched a youtube video of it and it made sense. However the writer makes a reference to that empty plug that the tach signal wire terminates at. Idk if that will give you a signal or not but ill probably just use a t splice on the wire itself. That way I can easily swap it between vehicles if i get a new car in the future.

Also its a Sunpro super tach III not just a shift light. I probably should have been more specific.

xZachTheRipper8

vatozone special lol im gonna just get a digital shiftlight for mine i think autometer makes it

LOL well I work there and it was on clearance so I said f*** it. These things retail for like 120 and I got it for like 60% off with my discount. The install is the same tho. I just have an extra wire. I also kinda mocked it up to the pillar and it looks alright. Besides I'm one of those people that has to do one thing that's completely retarded. Can't be serious all the time. I was gonna troll my buddy and get a giant speedometer. I make fun of his mini cooper all the time. He's always getting speeding tickets and my response is always "How do you get tickets when your speedometer is bigger than my wall clock?"

Last edited:

xZachTheRipper8

hahahahahahahaha thats coold, my buddy at work picked up an autometer one with the shift light and asked if i wanted it but i cant do it ahah i used to want one but now its ricerish imo aha so im just gonna get a shift light and mount it on my steering column

GIANT lol. I also wanted to do a swap in the future so I figured screw it its cheaper and easier than going to find an ITR cluster when all I need is the tach. I never look at my speedometer unless its the end of the month anyway lol

OK it's installed and doesnt look half bad. Got some female connectors and hooked it to the fuse box and the signal wire from the distrubutor. I also just want to say that those quick splice connectors are a freaking godsend. Anyway heres a picture from before I finished wiring it in.

Last edited: