Short shifter question

matt0wns

When installing a new short shifter is there any stock bushing there that can/should be changed? I find my shifter to be very sloppy but i havent installed the short shifter yet.

Any help would be great, thanx
Matt

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
theres not much you can do about the sloppyness of the shifter. at least nothing ive come across. anyways, just to let you know, that when you install a short shifter, you change the angle of the trannys "change rod" a.k.a. Shift Linkage. if you change the angle to different than stock, your trannys gears will wear out quicker.

alcoholic

Originally posted by "Eviloliv3"

theres not much you can do about the sloppyness of the shifter. at least nothing ive come across. anyways, just to let you know, that when you install a short shifter, you change the angle of the trannys "change rod" a.k.a. Shift Linkage. if you change the angle to different than stock, your trannys gears will wear out quicker.

so are you saying that its not a good idea to put a short shifter to your car? coz iam thinking of puttin one on my car too. anyways going back to the original thread.... what do you have to replace interms of bushings and all when puttin on a new short shifter?

matt0wns

I'm aware of the wearing of the tranny. I just need to know about the bushings

Baldy201

you dont need to replace the bushings if they are in good shape, IE not cracked or all worn out. Many people suggest Polyurethane bushings to make the shifting more presice and less sloppy.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
ive put shifter bushings on my car, and its no less sloppy than before. if you want a short shifter and dont want to wear out your tranny, then cut your stock one, and get it re-threaded. most likely cheaper and safer

ghesintegrah

just cutting the original shifter isnt goin to make a difference. the thing about short shifters is the bottom part of the shifter below the ball is longer than the stock one. thats why its alot easier to shift. how does it wear out your gears faster? dont you mean synchros? because w/ a short shifter since the time of the "shift" is practically cut in half, it doesnt give the synchros enough time to catch up with the speed of the vehicle. this usually only applies if your racing your car. if you take it easy and shift normally, you'll be fine. :wink:

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Originally posted by "ghesintegrah"

just cutting the original shifter isnt goin to make a difference. the thing about short shifters is the bottom part of the shifter below the ball is longer than the stock one. thats why its alot easier to shift. how does it wear out your gears faster? dont you mean synchros? because w/ a short shifter since the time of the "shift" is practically cut in half, it doesnt give the synchros enough time to catch up with the speed of the vehicle. this usually only applies if your racing your car. if you take it easy and shift normally, you'll be fine. :wink:
why dont you think about why it would fuck it up....

still lost? ill bet

since you are changing the length of where the shifter meets the linkage, you are changing the angle at which the gears are changed, and also the distance moved. meaning that if the bottom part of the stock shifter moves 1 inch, and the short shifter has a longer bottom piece, then it should move farther, so about 1.5 inches. therefore, you are .25 an inch from were you should be in gears causing wear.

but hey, its your money.

btw. cutting your shifter will give you shorter shifts, its simple logic

ghesintegrah

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=8540&SearchPagePosition=2&search=short+shifter&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=15&TopicID=41410&SearchPagePosition=1&search=diy+short&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=77037&SearchPagePosition=1&search=short+shifter&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

8)

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
what do you think youre so cool about? you just proved my point. in every thread they say getting a short shifter will make you grind gears, which means it not lining up correctly, exactly what i just said...

Try Again :twisted:

ghesintegrah

hahaha UH-NAH? i didnt prove your point. yea they say getting one will make you grind gears.. but its ONLY because they try to shift too fast like what i was saying in the first place. :roll:

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
why dont you read it again. they are saying that you can shift as fast as a short shifter with your stock shifter. why dont you copy and paste whatever it is that you think you read.

90 flat black TEG

What The Hell??????

I've had my short shifter for 3 years,and i don't know what you guy's are talking about.I have never grinded my gears and I shift fast when I race.Poly bushings are great if you want to tighten up your shifting,but it's not needed. 8)

Stafford

I'm sure a ton of you know of this but for someone that doesnt and wants to get both B&M sells the shortened throw and bushing together.....just a thought!!

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_part_detail.cfm?vmakeid=010&vmodelid=010&vcatyear=1991&vnopinum=752%2B0198&vTitle=ACURA%20Integra%201991