Sl500

Apollo

Was cruizin on the highway Saturday morning when what looked like an '03 SL 500 came ripping up behind, tailed for a little bit and then whipped around.

Considering it has a minimum 300 hp, I knew he would walk all over me if he really wanted, but figured why not see how it goes. Kicked into third and gave chase. Traffic wasn't too heavy, but enough to make things interesting. Weaved with him for ten or so miles, even got around at one point... he didn't like seeing that ;)

Came up to my exit, pulled alongside and find out the guys like 50. Considering some of his maneuvering I never would have thought... ha ha. Nodded thanks for the chase and went our ways.

In retrospect I get the :slap: for highway racing, but was fun, and sort of, semi-almost, maybe, kind of in a small degree but not really responsible.

Good times, shared. :beer:

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
Was cruizin on the highway Saturday morning when what looked like an '03 SL 500 came ripping up behind, tailed for a little bit and then whipped around.

Considering it has a minimum 300 hp, I knew he would walk all over me if he really wanted, but figured why not see how it goes. Kicked into third and gave chase. Traffic wasn't too heavy, but enough to make things interesting. Weaved with him for ten or so miles, even got around at one point... he didn't like seeing that ;)

Came up to my exit, pulled alongside and find out the guys like 50. Considering some of his maneuvering I never would have thought... ha ha. Nodded thanks for the chase and went our ways.

In retrospect I get the :slap: for highway racing, but was fun, and sort of, semi-almost, maybe, kind of in a small degree but not really responsible.

Good times, shared. :beer:
sounds to me like a waste of gas... but i did do the same thing with a GT3 right after i got the DC5. finished him off with a 120mph fly by

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
lol 120 is slow. i almost maxed my 5th gear when i raced a new si

heykosal

Angkorian
Traffic wasn't too heavy, but enough to make things interesting. Weaved with him for ten or so miles, even got around at one point... he didn't like seeing that ;)
The stupidest most dangerous thing you could do..

Came up to my exit, pulled alongside and find out the guys like 50. Considering some of his maneuvering I never would have thought... ha ha.
Even worse, you would think an older mature man wouldn't participate in such dangerous and illegal juvenile activities:roll:

sounds to me like a waste of gas... but i did do the same thing with a GT3 right after i got the DC5. finished him off with a 120mph fly by
Ricer...

Honestly, I'm not going to sit here and act like I've never raced out on the streets or ran on the highway, everyone has. But at least have some common sense about it, weaving in and out of traffic is probably the dumbest thing you guys could've done. I don't know who I'm more disappointed in..you, Apollo for contributing to the "tuner" stereotype. Or the other guy for definitely knowing better, but being juvenile.

Edit: you guys are lucky I can't seem to find that video of that civic weaving through highway traffic and then spinning out...Ricky find that shit for me.

Apollo

Sorry to disappoint you?

Like I said, I know highway racing is stupid and irresponsible. Still that's no excuse, and I don't pretend to make any.

Can't help but notice you chose to ignore this in your quotes:

In retrospect I get the :slap: for highway racing,
Additionally, one has to call into question the nature of the "tuner" society that frowns on street racing, when a forum such as this, of which I am very fond (CI FTMFW), and many others like it, includes a "Street/track" section.

However, Heykosal, I concede you are correct, both socially and legally, that street racing is a reckless and irresponsible act. And I hope you don't consider this a personal attack, but rather a contribution towards the dialogue concerning the ethics of street racing.

As per the civic video, I know exactly the one you are describing. Can't seem to find it either.

mirrorimg

The stupidest most dangerous thing you could do..

Even worse, you would think an older mature man wouldn't participate in such dangerous and illegal juvenile activities:roll:

Ricer...

Honestly, I'm not going to sit here and act like I've never raced out on the streets or ran on the highway, everyone has. But at least have some common sense about it, weaving in and out of traffic is probably the dumbest thing you guys could've done. I don't know who I'm more disappointed in..you, Apollo for contributing to the "tuner" stereotype. Or the other guy for definitely knowing better, but being juvenile.

Edit: you guys are lucky I can't seem to find that video of that civic weaving through highway traffic and then spinning out...Ricky find that shit for me.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kuIz7wPoZCs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kuIz7wPoZCs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Im pretty sure it isnt this one. You are probably talking about the 3 hatches weaving through traffic when the lead car loses traction and oversteers to the left.

Wtf how do you embed videos

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuIz7wPoZCs

heykosal

Angkorian
Sorry to disappoint you?

Like I said, I know highway racing is stupid and irresponsible. Still that's no excuse, and I don't pretend to make any.

Can't help but notice you chose to ignore this in your quotes:

Additionally, one has to call into question the nature of the "tuner" society that frowns on street racing, when a forum such as this, of which I am very fond (CI FTMFW), and many others like it, includes a "Street/track" section.

However, Heykosal, I concede you are correct, both socially and legally, that street racing is a reckless and irresponsible act. And I hope you don't consider this a personal attack, but rather a contribution towards the dialogue concerning the ethics of street racing.

As per the civic video, I know exactly the one you are describing. Can't seem to find it either.
Yeah man I noticed that in your post but I did choose to omit it from my reply because it didn't help make my point;)

I think the reason it's street/track instead of just track is because at one time or another, all members of this site has raced on the street..whether teaching that punk kid in the Celica a lesson, or messing around with a old head in a SL Benz:D

But not at all do I take what you said as a personal attack, I'm just glad you didn't see what I said that way. The reason I posted what I did is because reading the story it just really seemed like a very stupid thing to do. I mean racing from a roll on the highway is one thing, but going full tilt(which you had to have been to play with that Benz) while weaving in and out of traffic is almost just ASKING to spin like that dumb fuck in the Civic.

But hey, you're enjoying yourself and the car, and you and your car aren't injured or dead so I guess I really have nothing to say.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
all i can say is that i had the opportunity to work on a AMG 500. its very badass

Apollo

Is it just me, or is this link not working for anyone else?

Is that the civic trio video? That's the one I was thinking of.

But not at all do I take what you said as a personal attack, I'm just glad you didn't see what I said that way. The reason I posted what I did is because reading the story it just really seemed like a very stupid thing to do.... going full tilt(which you had to have been to play with that Benz) while weaving in and out of traffic is almost just ASKING to spin like that dumb fuck in the Civic.

But hey, you're enjoying yourself and the car, and you and your car aren't injured or dead so I guess I really have nothing to say.
Yeah, I really try to avoid highway racing too. Just not worth the risk. Of course, when an AMG offers, it's just so hard to refuse :p

Your feedback/input/critique is definitely welcome and appreciated though, else I never would have posted.

all i can say is that i had the opportunity to work on a AMG 500. its very badass
Yes, yes it is. Certainly added to my list of awesome cars I've had the opportunity to spar with:

M3 - in a controlled, safe environment. Didn't fair too bad actually.
GT2 - in a controlled, safe environment. Kicked my ass.
SL500 - irresponsible. Could have kicked my ass.

Why do I always seem to run against cars way out my league? Probably because I'm stupid :lol: But why not? :D

BlkDude

from looking at that video 2wice i still dont see how this is effective? it could have been many things that could have led to that in example (blow out) happened to me driving!! i hit a pot hole 3 miles back and while driving my tire became very mushy and found i had a small crack were my tire meets the rim and it caused my car to sway so i pulled over.... but then again when he oversteered he didnt press braked until the car was swaying and i didnt here any muffler when the car ws swaying sooo?

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
haha nice man...i did that last week with a 3000gt on the highway

another great time with my teggy :lol: