Stalling(?) at freeway speeds

raider2.0

Hi,

I have this problem on my integra I can’t seem to fix. When I drive on the freeway, I’ll be in 4th or 5th gear and I’ll feel this jerk. When the jerk happens I practically stall where I can’t step on the gas anymore. Oddly enough by putting the car into neutral the tachometer will rev up and down about 500 rpms or so and when I put it back into the gear the car will work for like 10 seconds. For reference, my temp sensor and speedometer don’t work. I’ve tried a lot of things so far and a new speed sensor is up next. I’ve also looked around and no one else seems to have this problem. Thanks in advance.

Alex98

Hi,

I have this problem on my integra I can’t seem to fix. When I drive on the freeway, I’ll be in 4th or 5th gear and I’ll feel this jerk. When the jerk happens I practically stall where I can’t step on the gas anymore. Oddly enough by putting the car into neutral the tachometer will rev up and down about 500 rpms or so and when I put it back into the gear the car will work for like 10 seconds. For reference, my temp sensor and speedometer don’t work. I’ve tried a lot of things so far and a new speed sensor is up next. I’ve also looked around and no one else seems to have this problem. Thanks in advance.
Check the distributor to make sure getting spark to all cylinders. My car started to do the same thing and eventually got to the point where it actually stalled out and sometimes start back up depending on where I was driving (highway vs city). After replacing all of the usual tune up parts (including a new fuel pump) and no change, I took it to my mechanic. He found that I wasn't getting spark in all of the cylinders and replaced the distributor. No problems since. This happened with the original distributor (98 LS with 230k miles).

raider2.0

Check the distributor to make sure getting spark to all cylinders. My car started to do the same thing and eventually got to the point where it actually stalled out and sometimes start back up depending on where I was driving (highway vs city). After replacing all of the usual tune up parts (including a new fuel pump) and no change, I took it to my mechanic. He found that I wasn't getting spark in all of the cylinders and replaced the distributor. No problems since. This happened with the original distributor (98 LS with 230k miles).
Thanks for responding! The distributor is an idea that no one I have asked has thought of yet. I just ordered a new distributor and when I put it in I’ll update in the thread.