stalls when stop.. WTF!!

95integgy

ok fellow integra enthusiasts i am dire need of help..

i have a 95 acura integra with a b20 and the ls intake mani. my car has a very low idle. like 250 rpm's at operating temp. if i turn on my AC or blower motor it stalls out every time. today after watching many videos and reading many of different threads from various sites i spend the day working on this issue. heres what happened. i replaced the IACV with 2 different ones. they were used but VERY clean. 1 was off of my b20 that only had 60k miles. nothing helped. i replace the FITV and it was VERY clean as well. i tried to adjust the idle screw on the TB that help very little by keeping my car running at idle and not automatically stalling out. looking in the TB i cleaned the top hole on the left(IACV bypass). theres nothing clogged. and nothing clogged in the bottom hole on the left.(FITV bypass) when the car is running and i put my finger over the iacv hole it stalls out. and when i do it to the fitv bypass i just feel a little suction nothing happens to the idle speed. i bled the coolant with the big yellow no spill funnel and fitting i had purchased online. did 2 cycles of the fan coming on and off to make sure i got any air. i sprayed carb cleaner around the IM gasket and all the hoses and fittings and no spike in idle. any ideas?? i cant stand this low idle and stalling plz help!!! and i also replaced the PVC valve. nothing.

Mikeinteg

When did it start happening? Have you checked something as simple as your spark plugs? Ive had the same issue on my older Da9 after discovering some water had gotten Into them

Nick_C78

I was gonna ask that. How old are the basic tune up items? Plugs, wires air and fuel filters. What is your dizzy timing set to? Should be 16 degrees

95integgy

i am running the stock ls ecu. it beens doing it since i had the car even when the ls was in it. i was reading the tach wrong lol. the idle is about 700 rpm at operating temps. at start up its like 1400 and it pulsates between 1100 and 1400 until it gets up to temp. now if i put it under a load by turning on blower motor or A/C the idle drops lower and doesnt come back up until load is off. and under no load when i am driving and come to a stop the rpms drop VERY low and stay pretty low. until i start to move again. and if under a load and stop it usually stalls out and if it doesnt its shaky as boggy as all hell.. i tried reset the TB idle screw back to factor but car wont run without the IACV unplugged. and if it does the idle screw needs to be almost 100% out.

brand new dizzy, cap, rotor, plugs (ngk coppers) wires. fresh oil change. bled coolant 2x. 1 CEL for code 41. about to have a new o2 bung put on tomorrow. and a o2 maybe thats the issue.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Thats sort of where I was going. Check both mechanical and dizzy timing. Also a compression test. Unhealthy or out of time motors die easily.

95integgy

the motor was purchased complete with 55k miles with stamped badge from japan. its never been opened up. but i will double check cams and ignition timing and let you all know.

72Spitfire

Intake manifold gasket. I bet you overtightened it when you swapped. They need very little torque. Just past finger tight. The bolts underneath are hard to get to. I had the same issue on an ITR. It's hard to spray around the whole gasket for leaks (especially underneath). We tried everything and then decided to go buy a new gasket. It fixed it.

72Spitfire

Also, if it was a crate B20 chances are the timing is fine. IACV and FICV should be fine also. Look for things you changed when you swapped it. This points back to the intake gasket. I cannot stress enough the little amount of tightening needed. Start at the inside and work your way out similar to a head gasket. Good luck!

Nick_C78

I thought that too, but it happened before he did the swap too though...so unless he reused the same gasket its probably ecu or sensor related. Which sensors did you reuse OP?

Russell D

If the idles rises and drops, I can almost guarantee you the iacv is bad. But if the idle drops 500 rpm when you turn on something electrical or the ac then there is an abnormally large amount of drag there! Mine only drops ~100

Russell D

Check the harness and make sure that the grounds are good and that the wires on the plug for the iacv aren't broke/pinched