swap or spun rod bearing replacement?

fadikabir

Acura integra 1994 LS. Stick shift.

my car just started making noise when ever i accelerate. or everytime the rpm reach 2500 to 3000 at most. it makes that noise even if i rev it to 3000 rpm. it does not make any noise if i am driving at normal constant speed of 50 to 60 kmh in 4th gear.

the noise is coming from the engine. I think its a sprun rod bearing. Should i get a new motor or get this fixed? cost wise. i got over 2k and under 220k on the engine.
also, if I buy a new motor what should i go for B18b, or B18c gsr or any other that would require less wear and tear with axles, control arms and suspension. I have Gsr transmission. last owner got the swap done and he swapped B18b with B18b gsr tranny. should i only buy the engine or the transmission with it as well.

mjones73

Depends, how much time and money do you wan to spend? A swap would be a quicker fix then rebuilding though you won't know the shape of the new motor either.

fadikabir

its not very loud. I started hearing it after GTA got hit with the latest snow storm, which was last week's wed.
if im goin for a swap should i stick to b18b or move upto GSR b18c. i cant afford typer r. and also if its a straight swap?

Prozon

Kris
That doesn't sound like a spun rod bearing to me..
When mine went out, it ran for a maximum of thirty seconds, just long enough to get off the road.
And it was a HORRIFIC noise, at ALL times. There was no bearing left and it ruined a rod in the process.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
A rod bearing will make a noise sometimes for a little while before completely shitting out. I like to call it the Honda Troll, once the little bastard starts tapping, its just a matter of time before he shows his face by coming through either your block or oil pan lol.

Is this your daily driver? If so I would just swap another b18b in it and call it a day.

DohctorRob

The Dohctor is in
get a new b then rebuild yours and either sell it to make some money back on your new b or put it back and sell the new b so at least youll know the condition of your motor

Prozon

Kris
You can always buy a low mileage replacement. There are plenty of companies that will sell them for under $800, and will probably even have a warranty with it.

I don't think rebuilding it is a good idea if you buy one, who has an extra $700 or so to blow on a motor rebuild for no good reason?

DohctorRob

The Dohctor is in
no i meant rebuild the one he currently has after getting his new one so he has a no mileage motor to either sell or put in his if and when the new one he buys goes or starts to

Prozon

Kris
Well that's it. If he buy s a low mileage motor, chances are he won't need that rebuilt motor for quite some time.
These motors can go for ages if properly maintained. ;)

DohctorRob

The Dohctor is in
well yea but if he has it lying around buy a rebuild kit and sell it and make some money back low mileage or no mileage b18bs sell quite well I've sold 3 now for each close to 1k

Prozon

Kris
Thats fairly good. I see companies that sell 40-60k motor for $800 or less, so I don't think I would bother buying a motor someone else rebuilt. "Again".