Third brake light

goofygamer

I was wondering, if I were to get a Type-R spoiler for my GS-R and it is required by California to have a third brake light (correct me if I'm wrong), how would I install a third brake light into my car? It's a coupe hatchback. Thanks!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I was wondering, if I were to get a Type-R spoiler for my GS-R and it is required by California to have a third brake light (correct me if I'm wrong), how would I install a third brake light into my car? It's a coupe hatchback. Thanks!
you dont neeeed one, but they might pull you over for it. PM coy he can describe how to take it off, and just do what he did in reverse

goofygamer

Alright sweet. Thanks guys! I'm going to put it on because Cali cops will pull you over for anything. Especially when it's that "time of the month" haha. Anyone selling a third brake light?

goofygamer

Hey coy, couldn't I just install it like how it is on an LS and Type-R?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
Hey coy, couldn't I just install it like how it is on an LS and Type-R?
that is a negative. you dont have the holes in the glass to properly mount the brake light. you could use double sided tape but it may or may not fall of. it shouldnt tho.

pick up an oem 3rd brake light and try it out

goofygamer

I forgot about those holes in the glass. I'll test fit one from pick and pull. If worst comes to worst, do you think Safelite autoglass sells the rear hatch glass with the holes in them? Do you guys think I should even put a third brake light?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
That glass costs $600. AFAIK there's no aftermarket for it.

If you're going to use double sided tape, make sure it's hot and the glass is clean. You need to get a heat gun and heat the bare tape until it looks sweaty. Don't overheat it though. It takes about five seconds.

Otherwise it's going to fall right off. There's a reason it's bolted from the factory.

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
Realistically, you're probably not going to be happy with mounting an OEM light. I've tried everything from heated up double sided tape to industrial velcro to suction cups. The tape velcro eventually fails...suction cups suck in the winter.

I just leave the break light off and rig up something for safety inspection time. I think it looks cleaner and I've never been pulled over for it even with an officer traveling behind me.

I started taking the brake light apart...going to try to rig up some red LEDs to it and come up with something smaller that weighs less to attach back there.