Turbo Build Problem

garb11

So im in the process of building my 2000 integra gs into a turbo car. Ive been thinking over problems i might run into and the biggest problem i could think of but couldnt find a solution for is how to keep the map sensor from seeing boost. I know that if the map sensor, which is built in to the throttle body, sees boost then it will send a message to my ecu causing the Ecu to have heart attack. How do i keep the map sensor from seeing boost from the turbo?

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
10psi should be the maximum. If you want to go any higher, you're going to have upgrade it.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

garb11

10psi should be the maximum. If you want to go any higher, you're going to have upgrade it.

10psi maximum boost before the ecu has a heart attack? and upgrade as in what, ecu piggy back or standalone?

garb11

Sent from my iPhone 2g
10psi maximum boost before the ecu has a heart attack? and upgrade as in what, ecu piggy back or standalone?

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Yes, maximum boost. Upgrading the map sensor itself. You should be running a piggyback or standalone for boost, not factory ECU.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

garb11

Yes, maximum boost. Upgrading the map sensor itself. You should be running a piggyback or standalone for boost, not factory ECU.
What piggy back system would you suggest i get because i would rather do that then get a standalone.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You don't turbo charge on a stock Ecu. What you need is a chipped OBD1 Ecu runing Hondata, Neptune or Crome. You will need to find a professional tuner that will tune your engine once you have completed your turbo installation. You should ask them what platform they are proficient with and run that.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
google is your best friend, I don't know much about turbocharging itself either way.

Edit: Muckman got it :lol:

Last edited:

garb11

You don't turbo charge on a stock Ecu. What you need is a chipped OBD1 Ecu runing Hondata, Neptune or Crome. You will need to find a professional tuner that will tune your engine once you have completed your turbo installation. You should ask them what platform they are proficient with and run that.
I live in a state where they test off of the obd2 port so i cant run an obd1 ecu because it wont pass inspection. Could i just piggyback with an aem fuel/ignition controller?

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
The car won't run as good as it can run. Emissions is something you're going to have to face once you start modifying.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Most of us live with the same restrictions. We resolve that by reverting the electronics back to OBD2 for the inspection.

The AEM FIC has mixed reviews and its not popular. I've never personally used it. All piggy backs inherently have a lot of limitations. Again I would consult the tuner who will be using the system and ask their advice.

To answer your question how does the Ecu not freak out when it senses boost, the answer is piggy back systems rely on check valves to stop boost from reaching the MAP sensor or "MAP clamps" which is an voltage limiter. Both methods are band aides.

You're better off building an OBD1 Honda or going K series as K series Ecu's are OBD2 inspectable AND tuneable.

garb11

Most of us live with the same restrictions. We resolve that by reverting the electronics back to OBD2 for the inspection. You're better off building an OBD1 Honda or going K series as K series Ecu's are OBD2 inspectable AND tuneable.
So i should just do the hondata obd1 conversion harness with chipped obd1 ecu and then just swap my obd2 ecu in whenever i have to get emissions tested?

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Yes that's what I do. I built my car with that in mind. Parts you will need to swap back to stock are Ecu, Injectors, MAP, O2 sensors and cat. The injectors are the biggest pain point. OBD2 injectors can easily be modified to fit OBD1 connectors by trimming the tabs on the injector body. The stock cat wouldn't fit my 3" exhaust so I had a custom cat built just for this purpose. And sometimes its nice to be able to swap in a cat and not smell exhaust fumes when you want to daily drive you car. I bought an OBD2 code scanner that can read the readiness monitors. It usually only takes 1 drive cycle to set the readiness monitors and it will legally pass inspection.