turbo... but which engine?

tisguy

alright I've searched over ci for this info, but I've only found FI vs NA discussions etc. I'm planning on dropping an engine into my 2nd gen. At first I was looking at the b18c5, just cuz it would be awesome to have a type r engine. But now, after doing some research an b18b motor, or even ls-vtec looks more adequate for turbo. I just wanted some opinions on what engine would be best to run turbo on. of course I'm not doing everything one after the other, but I'm lookin into engine and the internals first. i need help! im so confused on which engine to choose now.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
For the 2nd gen the b16a is the easiest swap, the engine came in the car in japan so it already has the cable clutch. If you can get a b16 transmission and hook it up to a gsr or itr engine you will be good to go. Unless you want to convert to hydro clutch, which is a pain in the ass and a lot of times dosent look very nice. Your motor isnt much different then the b18b, so you would be better off saving the money. LS engines arent a bad engine too boost, but dont have the high revs of the vtecs. My friend has a itr engine in his 2nd gen, with a couple mods and that bitch hauled ass. Keep researching the engines, and post up some more questions.

tisguy

thanks ominous! i was looking at complete jdm type r swaps(motor, ecu, tranny etc), cuz I read on t-i that LSD tranny is preferred with turbo for integras. hm but i guess I gotta talk to my mechanic and take his advice also. what about the use of ls-vtec with boost? my main focus right now is to find the most suitable engine or even hybrid engine to use in combination with turbo.
NA was my original decision, but seeing as to how much more money/time has to be invested seems a bit too drastic for me.

91jdmteg

I've heard good & bad things about LS/VTEC mainly they're not dependable. But I don't really know since I haven't got one. :lol:

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
i've heard many things about ls/vtec but most of them werent great but mostly they just arent reliable and its cause ppl dont build up the bottom end to handle the revs they want. my friends dreams of a gen2 integra with ls/vtec just he thinks all you have to do is put on the head and rev away he doesnt understand that the motor just cant handle those revs i keep telln him but he doesnt listen hes either gonna blow a motor or hurt himself cause he just got his licsence has no drivin experince and wants to street race it not a good combo at all

GrimLS

From what I've read about the lsvtec, its expensive and it rlly isn't reliable. I've heard good n bad about it but the bad was because they half assed the conversion. Others who actually did it properly say it is reliable but then again idk since I don't have one.

Havok114

I wouldn't boost a lsvtec unless its built for boost.
But I've driven a all motor lsvtec and that thing was quick for what it was.

Sent from my PAGER

supersilko

Why don't people just swap h22a instead of doing lsv?

sent from my phone using tapahoe 2

Last edited:

95ls-gsr swap

i've heard many things about ls/vtec but most of them werent great but mostly they just arent reliable and its cause ppl dont build up the bottom end to handle the revs they want. my friends dreams of a gen2 integra with ls/vtec just he thinks all you have to do is put on the head and rev away he doesnt understand that the motor just cant handle those revs i keep telln him but he doesnt listen hes either gonna blow a motor or hurt himself cause he just got his licsence has no drivin experince and wants to street race it not a good combo at all
definitely not a good idea... i flipped my moms outback drifting the 2nd day i had my liscence =/

markar121

Which engine is better for turbo, an ls or gsr?

Which engine is better for turbo, an ls or gsr?
Ok so i like the power the ls and gsr have but i like the body of a civic alot more so i bout a 99 civic with no mods except for its lowered on fully adjustable coilovers and some rota wheels. its an ex so the car is very quick. i wanna do an engine swap but i dont know if i should go with an ls swap or gsr swap whichever one i get is getting turbo. which is better and why?

turboda4dr

450whp
you can go with any motor long as you build it right!! most people choose the gsr for some reason.

i am running b18c1 in my DB1 making over 500+ whp with no problem. mind you i spend some pretty pennies to built it properly though.

TheMyth

Have a friend that has a 00' gsr with a COMPLETELY stock gsr .making 400whp. No head studs or anything internally different... just turbo'd and a good tune!