turns over but wont start

Kidd Integra

ok so i just picked up a 92 teg, dropped a new battery in but the damn thing wont start!!! it turns over and sputters but wont start...please help me out. any suggestions as to what it could be would be helpful

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Have you checked the plugs, cap, rotor? Probably corrosion on something or everything. You could replace all of them for around $50. If it's turning over but now starting, I doubt anything is seized. It's just not getting a spark. I would go with the simple approach (plugs, cap, and rotor), and go from there. If you can get wires for a good deal, may as well get them as well. Remember, best parts are OEM parts for this so go with spec.

swilk

Yeah more than likely what Slo_teggy said. If it's not that and your getting spark, Does it backfire while cranking? And is it getting fuel? easiest way to find that out is to spray some starter fluid down the manifold while someones cranking it. Be careful though. If it does backfire, could very well be the timing has slipped and its off a tooth or so.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Did the car start before you swapped the battery? If not, why did you buy a car that doesn't start? :)

Kidd Integra

It didn't start to begin with but it is a first project car so it didn't bother me. I'm getting spark. My friend had an ek doing the same thing and it turned out to be low compression. Could this be the problem?

swilk

Yes low compression could cause a no start, but if that's the case then you could be in for a load of trouble. Alright, if your getting a spark, have someone crank it while you spray starter fluid in it. Does it start? If not, check the main relay. Also, I know it didn't run before you got it, but is it giving you any codes? Being a 92 just pull the carpet under the passenger dash up and there's a red LED that flashes on the ECU. Get back to us with the codes if it does and might help start at a more detailed point.

RHD_Germz

Yes low compression could cause a no start, but if that's the case then you could be in for a load of trouble. Alright, if your getting a spark, have someone crank it while you spray starter fluid in it. Does it start? If not, check the main relay. Also, I know it didn't run before you got it, but is it giving you any codes? Being a 92 just pull the carpet under the passenger dash up and there's a red LED that flashes on the ECU. Get back to us with the codes if it does and might help start at a more detailed point.
Only 90-91 integras have that sir 92-93 that's when they started bn obd1

GeRmZ

swilk

I forgot the 92's don't have that on the ECU. But either way he can still test the fuel that way and check the main relay. And the codes are still the same just have to cross the jumper instead of reading the LED.

Kidd Integra

Problem solved guys. My flywheel only had about two inches worth of teeth left. Thankfully the car came with a lightened and oem flywheel.