Type-r pistons > GSR?

mattrt09

Hey guys

I recently purchased a 96 GSR for 3k....He sold it to me pretty cheap because the 2 middle pistons are bad, piston 2 tested at a compression of 60 and 3 tested at 80, with the 1 and 4 both being 220.

Im getting them replaced but my question is should i just go ahead and replace all of them with type-r pistons instead of GSR's? ive asked a few people and everyone has said different things both good and bad.

My plans in the future for the motor would be to do a slight moor build, probably bolt ons, then build the head.

What do you guys think?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sounds like a good idea to me, get the ITR's. You'll have a compression of 10.9:1, assuming you get a standard 0.25mm overbore/rehone the cylinder walls and use a stock headgasket. The only thing is you'll need to get a tuning system to adjust the a/f ratio for the higher compression at the same time, and you probably should go ahead and upgrade your injectors at the same time too. Your engine will be undercammed until you get bigger camshafts, just tune it and you'll be fine until you upgrade the cams.
I don't know if ITR pistons attatch to GSR rods, might be something else to consider.

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Matt, get the Hondata S100. It's only $195.

mattrt09

Congrats man! Any pics? Your plans sound good. Similiar to mind. Minor engine build.
no not yet man

its just a bone stock gsrrrr red wit some crappy acura rims, needs a new front bumper...im gonna do the 98 front end conversion when i change it out tho..

Sounds like a good idea to me, get the ITR's. You'll have a compression of 10.9:1, assuming you get a standard 0.25mm overbore/rehone the cylinder walls and use a stock headgasket. The only thing is you'll need to get a tuning system to adjust the a/f ratio for the higher compression at the same time, and you probably should go ahead and upgrade your injectors at the same time too. Your engine will be undercammed until you get bigger camshafts, just tune it and you'll be fine until you upgrade the cams.
I don't know if ITR pistons attatch to GSR rods, might be something else to consider.
hmmmm thats alot to think about...

i may just go ahead and get the gsr's if its going to take that much work to get the ITR's running good.....

o so many things to think about

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
no not yet man

its just a bone stock gsrrrr red wit some crappy acura rims, needs a new front bumper...im gonna do the 98 front end conversion when i change it out tho..
Just a suggestion for when you do decide to tune your DC2. You still have your DA right?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
u should always upgrade if ur car gives u the reason too.
Absolutley! If you don't upgrade the pistons now, you never will. This is your chance, don't miss it!
You don't need to pay big money for brand new aftermarket injectors, just pick up some used VTEC Prelude injectors. You'll need the Prelude injector resistor box too. That's what I did, and they work great on my 12:1 comp engine.

Can anyone tell him for sure if ITR pistons attatch to GSR rods?

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
Absolutley! If you don't upgrade the pistons now, you never will. This is your chance, don't miss it!
You don't need to pay big money for brand new aftermarket injectors, just pick up some used VTEC Prelude injectors. You'll need the Prelude injector resistor box too. That's what I did, and they work great on my 12:1 comp engine.

Can anyone tell him for sure if ITR pistons attatch to GSR rods?
yes...my itr pistons are on gsr rods.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
yes...my itr pistons are on gsr rods.
Cool. There you go....don't need to buy new rods. Just a tuning system and injectors, you can do it!:D
It's not like it's for nothing, you will gain power, even while you still have the stock cams.