underdrive pulley kit

JJ_93

OrangeIntegra
Iv been looking into getting a performance underdrive pulley kit and was wondering how much of an hp gain i could get. The car is a b18b1 motor with a short ram intake, 4-1 headers, air flow chip, and a full 2 1/4 exhaust. Daily driver

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Lose the chip, that's doing nothing more than ruining your engine.

Under drive pulleys aren't really a reliable way to make power, I looked in to them myself. If you're set on them, make sure you get a legit, well balanced set or you will mess up your engine. Power gains might be in the 5 hp region I would think (not to the wheels...)

mteg

Automatic Lover
You can't look at it as power gain. HP from factory reads from crank vs. Dyno which would be from the wheels. An Ls is around 138-142 crank. WHP would be aroud 120. You could probably gain 2-3 whp from the alt and power steering, and up to 5 with a crank pulley. Crank pulley is the biggest power saver but also can cause the most damage. Lots of peeps swear about not putting unbalanced crank pulley on. I've had and Unorthodox one on for years and never ran into a problem-running in conjunction with aem ps and alt pulleys. Pulleys work 2 ways. They are lighter on the crank, and also reduce the load by changing the size. They are a cheap easy way to free up whp. Is it noticible? Maybe a little, like putting a short ram intake on. Pulleys used to be a standard mod-like 10 years ago. Not so much anymore as most people put money towards a turbo kit, or something else. I'd invest in a good 4-2-1 header before doing them, you'll notice that gain better, and x2 on losing the chip.

JJ_93

OrangeIntegra
I agree completely with taking off the air flow chip. Its a complete waste of money and time. there was no difference in throttle response and for sure no "40hp gain". I'm dumb for getting the chip in the first place and i'm aware of that now. Getting a head swap is something that would be worth doing like a gsr head or another vtec model head. Knowing the current mods done to my car how much hp gain would i get with a vtec head swap? jw

mteg

Automatic Lover
I agree completely with taking off the air flow chip. Its a complete waste of money and time. there was no difference in throttle response and for sure no "40hp gain". I'm dumb for getting the chip in the first place and i'm aware of that now. Getting a head swap is something that would be worth doing like a gsr head or another vtec model head. Knowing the current mods done to my car how much hp gain would i get with a vtec head swap? jw
It just depends. For the same price, you could probably have a mild port job with stage 2 crower cams and ti valvesprings and retainers-which would net you more hp up front than headswap.