VIN Check on Transmission

Alfredg94

Shou Ga Nai
How can i look up VIN on this new tranny i got today. Completely trust the person i got it from but would just be nice to confirm i indeed have a GSR tranny. lol says s80 but it appears that can either be GSR or LS/GS/Etc .

probably will have to open it up and count the teeth, or just install it and see for myself huh?

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If the transmission still has the correct VIN on it, it is easy. A GSR will either have DC2 or DB8 in the VIN. An LS/RS/GS/SE will have DC4 or DB7 in the code.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Then there's no way of knowing other than driving it or opening it up and counting teeth but I wouldn't recommend that.

Alfredg94

Shou Ga Nai
Then there's no way of knowing other than driving it or opening it up and counting teeth but I wouldn't recommend that.
yeah i figured, thinking about putting LSD in not sure yet, so i can open it up if i decide. putting it in the LS this weekend probably

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
How much did you buy it for? LSD's are like $800, for good one..

Sent from my iPhone 2g

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Oh, I thought since you wanted to look up the VIN, that meant you had the VIN. If you don't, then all you can do is open it up to check, or drive it and see.

Alfredg94

Shou Ga Nai
How much did you buy it for? LSD's are like $800, for good one..

Sent from my iPhone 2g
bought the tranny for $400 came out of his GSR and yeah thats the debate im having with my bank account. lol i might just try my hardest to save for a full year and just do everything lol

Alfredg94

Shou Ga Nai
Oh, I thought since you wanted to look up the VIN, that meant you had the VIN. If you don't, then all you can do is open it up to check, or drive it and see.
i read that it was possible, thought i saw the vin m=but was only the tranny code. my newbish mistake lol

Alfredg94

Shou Ga Nai
I don't have an "X gear" just 1-5 and reverse....

Lol just kidding. It's not in the car yet, thinking about learning how to do it this weekend. If not latest next week. Excited to finally install something that'll make a bit of different on how the car acts.