Weird noise between 4-4500rpm and no vtec help!!

Metalmanalec

I have a fully built gsr motor that I just started to break in a few hundred miles ago, now I have a problem with vtec. It was working for the first week it started running but now it's not kicking in. I'm also getting some weird tapping noise between 4-4500rpm it's the only time that it makes that noise. With that noise being in that rpm range it makes me think it's vtec related. Any ideas?!

Metalmanalec

You can smell it. And stock ecu. It's just weird cuz vtec was working fine and had no problems for a while then all of a sudden this started happening

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Fully built gsr motor on stock ecu :roll: Well I don't know why vtec isn't working, check for power at the wire, maybe see if the filter screen inside is clean.

Metalmanalec

I would understand if it just was never working but it was at first. That's honestly not my main concern. Why would it be making that noise at those rpms?

Physh1

Low oil level? Vtec doesn't like low oil levels...also doesn't like a dirty screen.

Cameron

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
As far as the noise goes it could be spark knock or pinging. Does it sound like rocks are being thrown around in the cylinder?

Metalmanalec

I only tried it literally a totall of 4 times first 2 times was fine and the other 2 was this problem. And I guess you could say that's what it sounds like

Jeffbel

Sounds like a lost motion assembly issue. Motors only take a few seconds to break in. When we fresh build our cars it's start up, on to the dyno. And we all know the dyno isn't exactly nice to a car. Get that thing tuned dude